Chapter 19: Race P.O.V. A Life Worth Livin

Race had finally told Spot he loved him. Race couldn't be happier. Race got off Spot's lap and stood up. Spot did the same. "I'se sorry Spot, but I'se needs ta get back ta Hattan." Spot nodded his head understandingly. "Or you'se coulds spend da night in Brooklyn." Spot said hopeful. Race wanted to stay, but he knew he couldn't. "Sorry Spottie, I'se can't." And with that Race gave Spot a soft kiss on the lips and made his way to Manhattan. 

                                                       [ Time Skip To The Lodging House]

Race climbed up the fire escape and made his way threw the window. His eye's widened for what was waiting for him. Every Newsie was awake, and waiting for him. They hadn't noticed that he had come in yet. "Where's da hell could he have gone?!" Jack yelled panicking. He was running his hands threw his messy dirty blonde hair, pacing back and forth. Jack then looked at Albert. "Well you'se his best friend, da you'se know's where he is?!!" Jack screamed at Albert. Albert didn't have the guts to say anything. He then saw Race standing at the window. Albert timidly pointed to Race. Jack's eye's followed where Albert was pointing. 

Jack started walking over to race probably about to yell at him, but before he had the chance to do that Race jumped threw the window and ran up the fire escape. He got to the roof and started crying. Why was he yelling. I don't like yelling. It's scary. Race's thought were everywhere. Race heard someone climbing onto the roof but couldn't make out who the figure was. "Hey Racer, It's okay, Albert and Skittery are calming Jack down." The figure said. Mush. One of Race's best friends. Then a second figure came up the fire escape and onto the roof. "You okay Racer?" He asked. Blink. Another one of his best friends. Mush sat down on the right of Race, and Blink sat on the left of Race. 

"You'se don't have ta tell us where ya where, but we'se want ya ta know dat you'se can talk ta us. We'se always gonna be here fa ya Racer, and dat ain't neva gonna change." Mush said while putting an arm around Race's shoulder. Race then laid down looking up at the stars. "I'se went ta Brooklyn." Race stated. The two boys were very confused on why Race went to Brooklyn. Race didn't know if he should continue, but he decided to. "I'se was dere wit Spot. And he.. I'se... we'se... we'se kissed." Race said quickly waiting eagerly for their response.  Apparently Ike and Finch where on the fire escape listening. They immediately ran up onto the roof and yelled "Wait ta go Racetrack!" They tackle hugged Race. Blink and Mush just looked at each other kinda nervously. 

"Wait so you'se a queer Racetrack?" Blink asked trying to comprehend what was happening. Race looked over at them nervously and nodded his head slowly. Mush jumped up, ran to Race, and picked him up twirling him around. Race was very confused. Why was Mush so happy? Once Mush put Race down he looked over at Blink who had a wide smile on his face. Blink stood up and walked over an gave Race a hug. Blink then whispered something in Race's ear "We'se still love ya, I'se still love ya." Race had tears stinging his eyes wanting to come out. Blink then walked away and walked towards Mush. 

"So are you'se guys are okay wit Race?" Mush asked Ike and Finch. "Definitely." They both said at the same time. Blink's smile just grew wider. Mush then turned to Blink and winked at him, and Blink blushed (not intentional pun).This has Race confused. Blink then grabbed Mush's face, Mush grabbed Blink's torso and pulled him into a kiss. The three boys jaws dropped. They pulled away both very red. The three boys ran towards the lovers giving them a giant group hug while laughing. They all ended up laying on the roof watching the stars. "So you'se and Spot eh?" Ike asked teasingly. Race playfully hit him. 

Albert climbed up onto the roof. "Hey babe." Finch said. Albert stopped in his tracks immediately when Finch said this, he looked at Blink and Mush wearily. You could see the terrified in his eyes. Finch walked over to Albert and said "It's okay Albie, they're like us." Albert looked relieved. He then kissed Finch softly on the lips. After they pulled away Finch took Albert's wrist and pulled him to where he was sitting, and pulled Albert onto his lap.

"So we'se all got's a boyfriend den?" Blink asked. Albert looked at Race and gave him a sympathetic look, not knowing that Race and Spot had kissed.  "Not really's Blink." Race started. "But I dought you'se said dat..." Blink was cut off by Race. "I'se said we'se kissed not dat we'se boyfriends." Race said waiting for Albert's reaction. Albert shot up from Finch's lap, Finch made a disappointed face at that, Albert walked over to Race calmly, pulled him up from his seat, and put his hands on Race's shoulders. "Did you'se kiss Spot Conlon Racetrack Higgins?" Albert asked calmly, which concerned everyone. Race had gained a smirk on his face. "Why yes Albie, I'se did kiss Spot." Race said like it was nothing. Albert suddenly picked Race up threw him on his shoulders and walked to the edge of the roof. Albert set Race down and pointed to the starry beautiful black night and the Brooklyn Bridge. "What do you'se see when ya look dere Racer?" Albert questioned. "I'se see Spot, I'se see da beautiful Brooklyn Bridge, I'se see me broda, I'se see da future, but most importantly I'se see a life worth livin." Race finished. Albert just smiled at Race while he talked about what he saw.

The two boys headed back over to the other boys. Albert went back to sitting on Finch's lap, and Race went to lay between Ike and Mush. They eventually went back down to the bedroom. Thankfully for Race Jack was already asleep. Good I don't have to deal with his shit tonight. Race planned to wake up earlier than normal, get to the gates earlier, head to Brooklyn earlier, and head to bed earlier. That way Jack can't start giving Race a lecture and a stern talking to.

"Goodnight Spottie." Race whispered.