Stay Still

"Let's take a break for now." I lean my head back.

"Break? We've been doing this for hours."

"Quit complaining. You're starting to grasp it more and more as we go, and it seems like you're finally reaching a breakthrough." I put my feet up.

"Dammit, I hate studying."

"That's why I'm here to tutor you." I feel something grab my hand. "You're doing a great job Y/N."

"Thank you, Akeno. You don't have to keep helping me if you don't want to."

"I want to, so I am." She takes a seat next to me and looks at the corner of the room. "That's your grandfather's Dragon Ball?"

"That's right, the Four-Star. For as long as I could remember he had it. Even if it wouldn't bring him back, it still reminds me of him whenever I see it."

"Can the Dragon Balls really bring someone back to life?"

"Not if they died of natural causes, but other than that yes." Akeno looks away. "If you want I could gather the other six if there is someone you want to be brought back. Kami should have them still."

"You'd do that for me?"

"Without hesitation." Akeno inches closer to me.

"You're making it harder for me to resist you. I may have to take you all for myself after all." My gaze turns forward. "Can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

"How do you take on threats to the world like it's nothing? Doesn't it scare you knowing that you could lose everything?"

"It does, but in moments like that, I can't worry myself about those things. If everyone is counting on me then I have to be strong enough, there's no other way. Though, having someone to protect makes it much easier." I turn my head toward Akeno. "Knowing that you all are counting on me helps me to keep fighting even if my back is against the wall."

"I'll have to be there every time you save the world. We wouldn't want you to forget who you're fighting for."

"No, I guess not." Akeno inches closer to me and lays her head on my shoulder. "You've been getting much closer to me the last couple of days."

"Is it bothering you?" Her tone doesn't come off as her genuinely asking, more as she's baiting me into a negative reply.

"No."

"You're one of the few people I've trusted with my secret and the way you handled it made me think." Akeno moves into my lap. "Even if you don't choose me, I want to be with you for the rest of my life."

"That means a lot."

"Now then, enough distractions. Open your book back up and let's get back to work." She moves back to the other side of the table.

The Next Day

"You know what, I think I might have aced that one."

"Really?" Sona asks me. "You're never that confident after a test."

"I had some help studying yesterday and it made it easier to understand." From the corner of my eye, I see Akeno wink at me. "Even if I don't, my grades have only improved over the last couple of weeks."

"I told you all you had to do was apply yourself," Rias says. We reach the Student Council room and I head inside with Sona and Tsubaki.

"I'm glad I'm finally getting the chance to meet your peerage."

"You know everyone in my peerage, you just didn't know we were all devils. It's also fitting that you formally introduce yourself since we'll be seeing Rias's peerage as well. Once that's over we'll be heading to get familiars for my new members."