Get Free

As the sun sets over Kuoh Academy I enter the old school building to meet Rias, Akeno, Asia, and Grayfia. The tension in the room is easy to sense, and the signs of nervousness paint Rias's face.

"I'm glad you made it Y/N," Rias says upon my entrance.

"I wanted to get here early, try and help put your mind at ease." She turns her eyes toward the desk. "Looking over battle plans?"

"Yes." I walk over to her side and look everything over, though most of it doesn't mean much to me. "What do you think?"

"I can't tell you if it's a good strategy or not, but everything will work out just fine." My hand lands on Rias's shoulder. "If it seems like you'll lose, promise me you'll forfeit instead of fighting a longer battle than necessary. Whatever happens, I'm here, and you know I'm prepared to do whatever I have to."

"I promise." Rias takes her reading glasses off and looks up at me. "I'm not going down without a fight though."

"I never said you wouldn't." I walk away from Rias and take a seat next to Akeno who offers me a glass of tea.

"Your strength has improved immensely," Grayfia tells me. "Sirzechs will be quite impressed."

"I'm getting my rematch one way or another, and when I do I'm going to win." Akeno laughs beside me. "What's so funny?"

"You're always so focused on fighting and getting stronger, it seems like it's all you think about."

"For the most part it is, but I have a reason for it." Rias rises from her seat and comes to sit next to me. "You're thinking about something."

"Remember the day we first met?"

"Of course I do, but why bring it up now?" Rias takes my hand.

"You haven't changed a bit, I'm glad."

Two Years Ago

"Excuse me," I call to the groups of girls in front of me. "I'm sorry to bother you all, but I'm new here and kind of lost." The red-haired girl looks over at her friends.

"I'll help him." Her friends walk away and she comes my way. "You're in luck, I'm headed to the same class. Walk with me." She hands my schedule back and we proceed down the hall side by side. "I had heard there would be a few male students joining our ranks, but the runner-up of the previous World Tournament is quite a surprise."

"You know who I am?" The girl giggles.

"Yes, I do. Admittedly I thought you would be bigger, but I'm curious if that tail on your waist is something to do with it." I look back at my tail before wrapping it around my waist.

"I'm sorry if it bothers you, I've had it since I was born."

"No need to apologize, Son Y/N." She leads me to a staircase which we begin to ascend.

"You haven't told me your name yet, miss."

"How rude of me. My name is Rias Gremory." We reach the second floor and take a left.

"You don't look like you're from around here, but you speak our language perfectly."

(I don't know if I need to mention it specifically but since they're in Japan they're speaking Japanese. I'm pretty sure it's said somewhere in the light novel that devils can speak any language, hence why there isn't a language barrier.)