Scarves.

CW/TWs: Canonverse/Canon Divergence/Pre-Canon/During Canon/Post-Canon/Timeskips/Light Angst/Final War Arc Spoilers/Midoriya Inko-Centric/Coming out/Birthday/Ambigous or Open Ending/Happy Ending.

Inko tried her best to give Izuku everything he wanted. It was her way of making it up to him for his father leaving. She worked every day, every shift she could manage, but always came up short when it came to money. Inko didn't spend it on needless things unless it was for her son. When he was diagnosed quirkless her habit got worse. Most parents would say she's spoiling her son and he'll grow up to be a rotten person, but Izuku isn't like that. The boy would never be a brat. He hardly ever actually asks the things he wants. Inko assumes he gets that from her. There were days when she would go without something so Izuku could have what he wanted. She tried her best to be a good mother, but she was probably as absent as her husband was. Inko worked long hours to provide the basic needs for Izuku and it worked when he was young, but the older he got the more things they both needed.

So, she had to buy thrifted items, knock offs, or would make the things Izuku wanted herself. Though she was pretty crafty, giving her son something that wasn't official didn't feel like a good thing. She felt like she was failing because she couldn't afford the real item Izuku wanted. Her son never complained though. He never asked why the All Might figure's paint job was messy or why the All Might clothes were faded instead of brightly colored like they are in stores. Inko felt ashamed, but her son never said anything that would make her feel that way. It was just the principle of the matter. She looked at her calendar and saw that it was nearing Izuku birthday month. Inko needed to plan what she would get him or make for him. Without her son in the house, it felt empty. Izuku was always talking. Either about All Might, the Bakugous' son, or quirks. So, without all that chattering her apartment was quiet and lonely in the afternoons.

She would never let Izuku know that though. It's not his job to keep her happy and she shouldn't distract him from achieving his dreams even though sometimes it worries her deeply when he gets home extremely exhausted. He works too hard. After a week of looking on Tackterest she decided to knit Izuku a scarf for his fifteenth birthday. He would be attending Yuuei soon which she was completely shocked about. Apparently, he did great on the entrance exam in January and in April he'll be a first year at his dream school. Unfortunately, that dream school is very expensive which means to afford it Inko will have to work even longer hours. She doesn't mind. For her son she would do anything. Izuku deserves to have something go his way at least once. He never asks for anything. Inko got the materials she needed from a well-known craft store.

It was more than she liked to pay, but she bought red, yellow, and blue yarn to make an All Might themed scarf anyway. Since her afternoons were devoid of Izuku, because he's training with his quirk, she started picking up a few hobbies. Inko had no idea he was going to be such a late bloomer, but it happened and she was happy he was finally getting the things he's wanted and dreamed about for so long. He worked hard so she worked hard too. The Midoriyas were very hard and determined workers after all. Anyway, she planned out how much time she would need to work on the scarf to have it done in time. Four hours a day after work was perfect. She got off work when Izuku got out of school and he trained for about four hours before he returned home. Inko would be able to work and make sure Izuku never caught sight of what she was making.

For once she was actually excited to make something for her son. She hoped he liked it and won't be embarrassed to wear it because it's homemade. Money was tight though so it was the best she could do for now. Inko got home from work every day and went to her room to change clothes then started where she left off on the scarf the previous day. Nearing the fourth hour she would multitask by cooking dinner and knitting. It was tiring and her hands ached sometimes, but she powered through. Inko wasn't an expert in knitting since it was a new hobby so there were a few failed attempts before she got it right. Once she did though there was no turning back. Months later the scarf was completed and she was so proud of her work. Inko felt accomplished. She put it in an old shoe box she had and wrapped it up with All Might wrapping paper then stuck an orange bow on it. They were leftovers from Christmas. She didn't like to waste things so if she could reuse or get the most out of something then she would.