Chapter 11

Kole's POV

I left... I walked out of that room and headed for the yard, only I never made it out the door. I stopped at the next doorway. Something changed when I walked out of the kitchen, something inside of me wanted to go back. I wasn't hungry anymore so it wasn't the need for food, but the minute I walked out I wanted to turn around. I heard Alex give her opinion of why I was upset, and frankly she was spot on. When I was first accepted into this pack I was looked at differently because I wasn't a wolf. Everyone had their own thoughts about me and would spread rumors. It aggravated me that no one cared to get to know me well enough to really talk to me. Sure Tab and Myles tried, and I'm grateful to them for their efforts, but the rest of the pack kept their distance. They don't know, but I heard every one of their comments about me being different, about how I had been born differently and how they didn't understand why I was allowed such a high position in the pack when other wolves were 'better suited' for my job.

The comments and snide remarks eventually came to a stop when I proved that I was in fact the right person for the job of pack trainer, but that doesn't mean the fact that I am different isn't a soft spot for me. I had my chance at a perfect life a little over a year ago. I had a mate, we were talking about starting a family, we had made a home for ourselves that was close enough to her pack but far enough for me to feel secluded. Unfortunately someone from her pack was not happy that one of their wolves was mated to a Cat Shifter and tried to exterminate me. He didn't know that I wasn't home when he set fire to our home, but she was upstairs asleep in our bed. She was killed by a member of her own pack because she was a wolf who was destined to be with a Cat. I was alone with only a memory of my mate because I was a Cat. The dog that killed her didn't look at the evidence pointing to me being a good, loving mate, or that my beautiful Katherine was happy. He just saw the difference between our races.

I had to prove myself to everyone in this pack house, and once I did that all the comments stopped. For some reason Tab, Myles, Tyler and Zack all think it's funny to make jokes about it. None of them know what my past is like, and I'm sure if I said something they would stop, but I shouldn't have to say anything. Alex understands, maybe because she and I are in the same boat, but she's only known me for a few hours and she can already read me better than friends I've been living with for a year.

I walked up to my room, ignoring the feeling in the pit of my stomach to go back into the kitchen, and went over to the balcony doors. My room had the best view in the pack house other than the Alpha's suite. It was larger than the other rooms and had its own personal balcony large enough for a small outdoor table and some chairs. However I didn't have a lot of personal things to fill the room up with so it felt kind of empty. The wall closest to the door had shelves full of catnip, and the wall furthest from the door had my bed against it. The door leading to the bathroom was in the corner between the catnip and the empty side of the room. My room walls were bare, I didn't have any pictures; everything I owned was lost in the fire. I didn't mind how empty my room was, the only thing I did in here was sleep anyway. I heard voices getting closer and closer to my door. I recognized them as Tab, Myles and the twins. They must be showing Alex around the house.

"And finally, this will be your room." Tab said, I heard him open the door to the room next to mine. Well, at least she'll be close.

"Go ahead, look around." Tyler said, his tone told me he was smiling. I used to be jealous that he could be happy all the time, but I've gotten used to it. There was a pause where I didn't hear any footsteps, but I knew that Alex had walked into the room next door.

"We'll find you some clothes to wear until we or someone else can take you out shopping." Myles said as he stomped into the room. There was no sound for a while then I heard the window open.