15.

The uranium enrichment plant that is your target will be up and operational before we intended."

Kelsi looks at Phoenix and has nervousness written all over her face.

Fanboy speaks up, "But sir nobody has successfully flown the low-level course."

"Nevertheless, you will be moving onto the next phase of your mission," Admiral Bates finally finishes and walks back over to his spot in the corner of the room.

Maverick starts speaking as he makes his way to the front of the room. "We have only one week to focus on stage two of your mission. This by far is the most difficult part of your mission. It is a pop-up strike with a steep dive that includes no less than two miracles. Two F-18s and a backup will be flying in this formation." Maverick points at the screen. "As you can see, It's a new formation so you need to get it down before you get in the air. Along with this, you have to use teamwork and precise coordination in order for the mission to be successful."

Kelsi bounces her knee nervously as she listens. The screen before them changes to show the layout of the uranium plant.

"As you all were pre-briefed, this plant rests between two mountains. On the last approach, you have to perform a completely inverted steep dive. This will allow you to get the lowest altitude while staying stealthy and out of onlooking SAM's sights."

***

Coyote, Rooster, and Hangman were the first to do the mission. They all picked up speed and flew up and twisted to the right until they rolled and were inverted. Slowly they followed the path Maverick had given them.

***

"Your target is an impact point less than three meters wide. The two-seater aircraft with hit the target with their laser getting a bullseye. The first plane will breach the reactor by releasing the first laser-guided bomb into the ventilation grate. This will create a big enough opening for the second group's explosive. This is miracle number one." Maverick looks at the group in front of him then looks back to the screen. "The second group will drop the bomb that will deliver the final shot that will destroy the target. That's miracle number two. If any of the two groups misses, you have failed the mission."

***

"I'm dropping bombs!" Rooster calls out into the mask. A few seconds later comes his voice again. "Shit! That's a miss!"

***

A new image appears on the screen. "This is your next obstacle. It's what we call, Coffin Corner. You will be moving into a very steep and very high G climb in order to avoid hitting this mountain."

Hangman speaks up, "With that steep of a climb, your pulling at least seven G's."

Maverick makes dead eye contact with him, "Seven? Try nine, minimum."

Rooster's eyebrows furrow and he looks up, "The F-18's airframe is only able to pull seven G's."

Maverick looks at him and nods, "That is the recommended limit. To be able to do this exercise, you'll have to break those recommendations in order to survive. With this amount of force, you'll weigh close to 5,000 pounds. Your skull crushing your spine. Your lungs imploding like an elephant is sitting directly on your chest."

Kelsi's eyebrows furrow and she looks down and bites her lip nervously.

Maverick looks back to the screen. "This is where you are going to be most vulnerable. Assuming you don't die by crashing into the mountain. The second you pass Coffin Corner, you're in the view of the enemy SAMs. In the end, everything goes down to the pilot in that box.