20.

Once boarded, Kelsi and the rest of the group stand in front of Maverick. Today was the day of reckoning. Kelsi stands between Rooster and Phoenix. She and Rooster haven't talked about what happened the previous night. It's weighing on both of their minds heavily.

***

"It's been an honor flying with you. Each one of you represents the best of the best. This is a very specific mission. My choices are a reflection of that and nothing more." Maverick finishes. He has a proud look on his face.

"Choose your two foxtrot teams," The annoying voice of Admiral Bates chimes in.

"Payback and Fanboy," Maverick names. The two aviators are low-fiving and smiling proudly.

"And Phoenix and Bob." He finishes.

Kelsi turns and looks at Phoenix. Kelsi gives her and Bob quick hugs muttering congratulations to them. She smiles, excited for her friends.

"Choose your wingman,"

Maverick nods and makes eye contact with Bradley, "Rooster."

Bradley's jaw drops and Kelsi smiles up at him. She takes his hand and squeezes it in congratulations. He interlaces their fingers and looks at her, beaming.

Finally Maverick says, "The rest of you will be on standby for any role that is required. Dismissed."

Everyone starts leaving the room except for Kelsi. She tells everyone to go ahead of her as she approaches Maverick.

"Sir."

He looks up, "Williams, what's wrong."

"Will I be used as a backup pilot?"

Maverick sighs and looks at her, "That is up to how you feel."

"Like a million bucks, sir."

Maverick nods and holds his hand out for a handshake, "Good to have you back on the team Lieutenant."

Kelsi smiles and takes his hand, "Thank you, sir."

"Yeah yeah. Now go get back to your friends." He nudges her towards the door.

Kelsi smiles and salutes with two fingers as she leaves to get her flight suit on.

***

Everyone in the mission is out getting their planes ready. Everyone including Kelsi.

"Hey, Williams! What are you doing?"

"If you need to know Hangman, I'm in for backup."

Hangman smiles and nods, "Deadass."

Kelsi giggles and exits her plane, heading over to her friends. She says goodbye to everyone but one person.

"SHAW DUDE!" Kelsi giggles when she sees his head poke out of the cockpit. She climbs up onto the ladder so she's eye to eye with him.

"Yeah?"

"I got something for ya."

"What's that?"

Kelsi reaches into her flight suit pocket and pulls out a polaroid. It's a picture of the two of them on the beach on the day of the team-building exercise. The two of them are looking at each other smiling. Kelsi has his aviators lopsided on her face. On the bottom, Kelsi wrote, 'My Pigeon'. Rooster reaches out and takes it from her outstretched hand and smiles fondly.

"When did this get taken?"

"Phoenix brought a polaroid camera and snapped a picture."

Bradley smiles and places the picture inside the pocket next to his heart.