Chapter 31: Two-Bit Plays Matchmaker

Breakfast is ready at seven, which is when Two-Bit and Steve come strolling through the door. Soda wakes up shortly after and then so does Johnny.

Johnny and I are the only ones still in our pajamas. Two-Bit goes up to Johnny and ruffles his hair since it's not greased. I think that his hair looks better like that because it's naturally really fluffy. But he needs a haircut. The last person that did his hair was Ponyboy three months ago, and Pony should never be allowed to touch anybody's hair ever again. I've done Soda's hair quite a few times before and I'm actually not bad at it. Ponyboy and Darry never let me go near their hair. I'll have to ask Johnny if I can fix his for him.

At seven-thirty, Pony finally wakes up. Two-Bit perks up. Oh no. He's gonna play matchmaker.

"Hey, Ponyboy! You look hot today." He starts, "You know who else looks hot today? Johnny. Don't you think so?"

This question makes Pony uncomfortable. I can see it in his face. "Umm yeah... sure."

"Sure, what?" Asks Two-Bit and I see what he's doing. He's trying to get Pony to say that Johnny's hot. Then, Pony'll be thinking about it all day and maybe start to believe it.

"Sure he's what you said he was." Pony is trying to avoid saying it.

"And what did I say he was?"

"Two-Bit, are you drunk?"

"Yes, but you didn't answer my question. What did I say?"

"That Johnny's hot"

"And do you agree?"

"Yes."

"Now say that all together in a complete sentence."

"I think that Johnny is hot." He says blushing. Oh my god does my brother have the hots for my fake boyfriend?

"So why don't you date him?" Asks Two-Bit. And Pony's face drops.

"Because I'm not a f@ggot." He states and everyone in the room glares at him, disgusted by that awful word.

"Pony, swear jar." Says Darry. "Actually, swear jar and you're grounded."

"What?!" Pony is very confused.

"You know we don't use homophobic slurs in this household. So Ponyboy, you're grounded until further notice." I'm so surprised that Darry reacted this way to Pony's comment. I honestly thought he was homophobic.

"But nobody here is even gay." Pony argues.

"You never know who's hiding in the closet. Don't just assume that people are straight." Darry warms my heart by standing up to Pony like that. "Go to your room, now." Darry orders.

The room is dead silent after Pony leaves. It's super awkward. None of us thought that Pony was homophobic. If only he knew that his twin sister, best friend, and whatever the fuck Two-Bit is to him are all in the gay community.

Steve and Soda eventually leave and Darry goes grocery shopping. So now it's just me, Johnny, and Two-Bit.

"So my plan backfired. I'm sorry Johnny. I didn't expect him to be a homophobe." Says Two.

"It's alright. I didn't expect it either. But I also didn't expect Darry to ground him for saying a slur." Says Johnny.

"Yeah me too. I honestly thought that Darry was homophobic. I didn't expect him to be so supportive. Two-Bit do you think he's gay? Do you get the vibe from him?" I ask.

"No, he's a straight ally." Answers Two-Bit. "But he definitely knows that some of us are gay."

"Yeah," Johnny says and he tenses up, "You don't think he's gonna tell anyone, do you?".

"No you don't gotta worry kid, he's not gonna out you." Two reassures. "Hey but always remember. Ponyboy Curtis called you hot."

Johnny smiles.