Chapter 11: Return

∙ Madis POV ∙

"I would like to return now. I don't want to sound ungrateful or impolite, but I am afraid the matron will murder me if I do not return! I have to work again and I cannot wait any longer. Thank you for everything. I think haven't had such a peaceful sleep since years, but I need to go now," I said upon getting up from the breakfast table. Nyx had picked me up from my room, Feyre and Rhysand sat around the breakfast table, watching me wary eyes.

"Are you ill, dear?" the High Lady asked, completely ignoring everything that I had said before. I quickly shook my head. Did they hear me cough throughout the night?

"No, no. Just some slight winter illness. Nothing severe. But please, I need to go," I told them. Liar.

"You can tell us. We can help you!" Feyre pushed further but I shook my head. "Really, Just a slight cough from the cold weather. I am perfectly healthy and fine!" I insisted.

I knew that they did not believe me but still nodded their heads.

"I am taking you back. I anyways have to pick my little sister up from the Day Court," Nyx offered, stuffing the last piece of bread into his mouth and getting up. "Do you really want no breakfast?"

Once again I found myself shaking my head. "No, thank you."

Nyx shrugged at that, approached me, moved one hand into the pocket of his pants and extendedthe other to me. "Well, let's go then!"

I did not reach for his hand, rather held it up. "But you can finish breakfast. I don't want to—"

"I am done, no worries, Statlight," he told me with a smile on his lips. Sighing, I grabbed his hand.
"Thank you again and good bye!" I shouted before the mist appeared and wrapped around us. And then we flew or tumbled or....winnowed.

When the black mist disappeared I could spot the poorhouse at the end of the path and I took one last glance at Nyx. "Thank you. For getting me out of here and offering me the delicious food and letting me stay the night," I told him honestly. He bowed his head.
"I guess that is it then? My part of the bargain is paid? We are even?" I asked and that was when he chuckled lowly.

Then a grin spread over his face, showing two rows of perfectly white teeth. His grin was on the edge of wicked when he took one step closer to me. His wings tugged in and for a moment the breath hitched in my throat.

"I said whenever I want, I was not speaking about one time, Starlight. I am looking forward to spending many more days woth you," he stated calmly and my mouth fell open.

Fury bloomed in my chest and made lava blaze through my veins. I felt so very angry and violent all of a sudden so I glowered, my brows furrowed and my jaw clenched.

"I don't want to see you again!" I huffed and met his gaze. His eyes glistened and I was sure that for a split second pain glimmered in them.

"Too bad we made a bargain that forces us to see each other again."

"Prick! Fuck that bargain. Annihilate it!" I exclaimed, stomping my feet into the ground to walk away from him.

"Not possible. Until the next timd, goo bye, Starlight!"

My form of salutation was a vulgar gesture. He did not deserve more. Knowing he had not left immediately I did not even lower my hand, showing him my middle finger all the way back to the poorhouse.

I was so very angry—but more about myself. I should have listened carefully to what his part of the bargain was. But why did he even want me there? And now would want me there more often? Was I some sort of amusement for him?
I had no time to go into further thoughts about that as I was immediately met with the hand of the matron that slapped me upon entering the poorhouse.
"Stupid, stupid girl!" the matron spit out, kicking me again and again. I was already lying on the floor, weeping. But she kept on kicking me.