Chapter 48: Dying?

∙ Nyx POV ∙

"What? What is up? Nyx, please calm down. What is going on?" I heard Madis, but her voice seemed so faint, so far away. I shuddered, my skin damp and clammy with sweat.

Something happened to father. I felt it. He was in pain...I had felt his heart give in.

"My father..." I breathed when Madis cupped my face in her palms.

In an instant both her and I were on our feet, her donning my shirt and putting on some undergarments while I pulled up my sleeping pants, stumbling towards the door. And then we were running, through the house, up the stairs and to where my parents bedroom was.

Low groaning already reached us when we were still in the corridors and without hesitation I pushed the door open. My blood went cold at what I saw.

My father was sitting on the bed, one hand folded over his forehead, his chest heaving rapidly. Mother brushed a wet cloth over his torso, her lashes damp and her lips pursed.

"What is going on?" I whispered and my mother's gaze met mine.

"Come here, Nyx." I noticed Madis take a step back but quickly reached backwards, grabbed her hand and pulled her to me. She followed me to my parents bed and we both sat down.

My father coughed loudly once and forced his eyes open. Where there had normally been a deep, sparkling blue it was replaced by a dull blue-ish grey. I swallowed thickly, my heart stuttering and my hand squeezing Madis' tightly.

"I think you are feeling it, too?" he questioned, a small smile appearing on his lips. I could not smile back, not when all happiness had vanished from me in an instant and had left nothing but cold void behind.

"I think so..." I breathed and felt Madis lean closer to me. Her face brushed my bare upper arm and tears built up in my eyes.

"That you are overpowering me."
"Yes...but no..." I breathed, my voice breaking and coming out hoarse. No, I could not be overpowering him. Not yet. Not when he had been fit until a few weeks ago. Not when I could not imagine him not being here anymore. That was when my world shattered once again.

"I cannot— You cannot. You cannot leave. I cannot overpower you. Is there nothing we can do to stop it? To make it stop? You cannot die," I bubbled, my chin falling to my chest, my shoulders shaking. Mother inhaled sharply and Madis wrapped an arm around my waist from where she sat behind me.

Groaning father sat up further, leaned towards me and reached a hand forward to place it on my shoulder. He squeezed tightly, his gaze locking with mine. "There is nothing we can do to stop it. But there is something we can do to...that I don't have to die just yet. It will slow the process, Nyx."

To that I lifted my gaze, my throat working on a swallow. "What?"
"See, darling, I told you he didn't study the last two books on High Lords and ruling I have given him."

My mother giggled slightly and shook her head at my father. I really hadn't and regretted it. But what was he suggesting? What could there possible be done?

"I have read them," a soft and very calm voice said behind me. I glimpsed over my shoulder at Madis who watched me with teary eyes. I furrowed my brows at her. She shrugged one shoulder then kissed my upper arm and leaned to the side to look at my father.

"You have?" he questioned curiously, something like admiration lacing his features and I knew exactly what he thought in that moment. He didn't even have to open his mental shields, yet he did.

She will be a great High Lady, I know it.

I know she will. I smiled at my father.

"Yes. There is something that can be done..." Relief slowly blossomed in my chest with every spoken word of her and at the end I could finally smile again.