Chapter 49: Windhaven 2.0

∙ Madis POV ∙

"You like that, don't you?" Nyx asked. "Me kneeling in front of you." I bit down on my lip, my knees somehow wobbly. "A sight I could really get used to."
Nyx spread the web of leather open, waiting for me to put one foot through one loop. I did as instructed and put my legs through the loops before he pulled the belt up my thighs. Nyx's fingertips brushed my thighs and he pulled on the straps, securing the belt. He tightened and buckled the straps and finally looked up at me, his hands braced on my thighs. "That's good?" "Perfect. But is it necessary?"

"Madis, better safe than sorry." I bowed my head in understanding. Among the other daggers strapped to my thighs also mine found its place there. I smiled when I lifted my head when Nyx straightened to his full height in front of me. His hands cupped my face and he kissed my forehead.

Padding on the floor signalled to us that someone was coming and that someone was Rhysand who sank into the chair next to where I stood

"No talk of what is happening to me, yes?" the High Lord said, looking between Nyx and I.

Nyx shook his head. "Father, we are not stupid. Obviously we won't talk about your condition."

"Nyx, I mean it. If they know that I am weak and that your are the next High Lord you are an easy target. I am not worried about myself I am worried about you." Sincerity and an ounce of fear laced Rhysand's features while he stared at Nyx. "That is why it is important for you, Madis, to have his back, to protect my son. I know you are good at fighting and that you can very well protect my son. Nyx you cannot let the extent of your power show, they will immediately know what is going on."

Oh gods! Obviously I would protect Nyx with my life but I had no idea that this was actually going to be my job.

"Of course I will."

Rhysand bowed his head in thanks but Nyx shook his head. A talon brushed against my mental shields and I opened them. You don't have to do this. We will protect each other.

Nyx brushed his knuckles down my arm and I dipped my chin at him, a warm smile plastering my face.

Feyre and Eve joined the High Lord when it was finally time for us to leave. Nyx held me tightly to his chest when black mist wrapped around us. They waved, Feyre telling us all the best and that we should return in one piece. And then there was just darkness.

We were swirled up and the moment a cold breeze brushed my legs, the air cleared and we landed on the mud-covered grounds of the warcamp—Windhaven. I inhaled deeply, cool air and the smell of late winter seeping in through my nostrils. Nyx held my in gloves clothed hand tightly, his other hand moving over the dagger strapped to his thigh.

We could hear the sound of drums, hammering, and there was hollering and shouting. I sounded like a war chant. "Why are they chanting?" I asked, glimpsing up at Nyx.

"It is a war chant. They are readying for something. Probably riots against Ironcrest or Eavermon." I dipped my chin, holding Nyx's hand tighter. A tremor coursed his body.

Nyx led me over to a big hut which was situated in front of training ring. Hollering and shouting sounded from every corner of the camp, its centre being the training pitch we were nearing.

When we arrived there Nyx looked at me and for the first time in a long while he did not look like the future High Lord. He looked like a young man, who this great responsibility was dumped on, who suddenly had to deal with so much he was not ready for. He looked...anxious.

"They are not going to listen to me. They haven't even noticed that we are here. They will just mock me and then—"

I clasped Nyx's neck tightly with my hand and pulled his face down to me. "Nyx Archeron, you are brilliant and amazing. You are kind and exquisite. You are the future High Lord of this court. You are a great friend and even a greater lover. And when you now speak to them, I want you to talk to them with the confidence you have when the two of us are tangled between the sheets. I want you to show them what you are capable of. I want you to show them who you are."