8 - Coffee

On Monday morning, Isla walked the children to school and then continued to Mass. She was happy to be alone to reflect on her situation. Should she thank God or pray for intercession? Having her own room was worthy of thanks, but she needed help with all the new confusing things about her life, starting with the phone in her coat pocket. The phone, she would master. She didn't think she could pray in church about her confused feelings, starting with the odd dislike she felt toward Ryan's mother. She worried about supporting divorce by working for a divorced family. The children. She needed to help the children, so she prayed for Riley and Cody.

After Mass, Father Morrison greeted her. "It was nice to see your family with you."

Her head moved side to side vehemently. "I'm just the nanny."

"Monday is coffee hour in the hall. Join us."

Around her were predominantly older women and couples. With the shopping done, she could still get her work done.

"Thank you." She smiled.

He led the way to the staircase leading to the church basement. It was a large hall, with some folding tables and chairs set up. On one table was a coffee urn and two boxes of doughnuts.

The priest said, "Everyone, this is Isla. She started attending last week."

A woman about fifty patted her chair. "Come sit next to me, dear."

Isla poured a cup of coffee, but declined the deep fried sweets. Leo and the kids had eaten some after church. She sat next to the smiling woman. "Are you new to town?"

"Yes, I moved here for my job. I'm a nanny." She looked a Father and wondered if she had told a lie that needed confession.

"How exciting! I'm Marcia."

Isla smiled, just as an even older woman sat down. "I'm Helen, and over there is my other half, Johnny." She pointed to a portly man talking to an elderly man. "I noticed you yesterday. I teach Riley's class. That family needs someone to take care of them." She shook her head.

Marcia said, "Where are you from?"

"Philly."

Helen touched her arm. "Did you leave your family behind?"

Yes. "No, I don't have any family. I needed a change and now I'm here."

Helen frowned. "No family. I can't imagine. We have a brood."

Marcia laughed. "She's proud of her seven grandchildren."

Helen smiled. "With one on the way."

"You are blessed." Anytime Isla saw a pregnant woman, wonderment filled her. The miracle of life was quite awesome.

The two women talked about their families. Marcia said, "I'm not used to the empty house. My two are both in college. One's in Florida, and the other is in California, both wanted to escape the cold and snow. I doubt they'll ever come back."

Isla sensed the woman's loneliness. She had felt alone much of her life, never belonging. When she finally found herself around others, she still felt separated. It was no different with the Nelsons. They were a family, and she was the employee.

"Oh my, don't frown." Marcia patted her arm. "I keep busy. Right Helen?"

Helen giggled. "We have fun."

Isla smiled but wondered how two older women had fun. "I should go. I have work to do. It was nice meeting you."

Isla's day sped by. She had a lightness in her step. What did they put in the church coffee, she mused. By the time she picked up at school, she had changed all the beds and remade them, as well as cleaned and dusted the bedrooms. She hadn't tackled the upstairs the week before. She wrote a schedule for herself mostly because she liked structure, and Mondays were for the bedrooms.