26 - Trust

Isla didn't sleep well after her phone call with Leo. So much of what he said confused her. When she wasn't thinking of the beautiful woman on the bed, she thought of Leo's words. I trust you. I need you.

After she drove the children to school, she almost turned toward home, but she drove to church instead. She missed half of Mass as her preoccupied mind distracted her. Marcia asked if she felt alright.

She nodded. "I can't walk since I took yesterday off to swim." When had she started lying?

Neither friend questioned her excuse, and she went home and climbed back into Leo's bed. She could have gone down to her own, but she liked his scent. She woke to her phone ringing.

Startled, she picked it up. Leo said, "I called to make sure you're okay."

"Tired. I didn't sleep well."

"You should rest. I don't need a perfect house."

"I am resting." Her rogue tongue continued, "In your bed."

He chuckled. "I'm lying down too."

"Did you have a nightmare?

"Yes, they happen when I talk about her."

"Like when your mother visited." She had touched him in the dark, and heat filled her belly from the memory. "I worried since you were alone."

"I'm always alone. Except..." His voice trailed off. Did he remember that night? "When an angel saved me."

She shook her head. "I'm not an angel."

His voice sent quivers to her tummy. "You're mine. Saving me. Taking care of me. You don't know how much you have changed us."

"I just do my job, and love..." You.

"My kids. I know. They need your love. We all needed you and we found you."

"Fate, again."

"I suppose so. It's nice to have some good fate. Good dreams too."

Isla remembered and bravely asked, "About me. Why?"

"Because you care about us and are a part of our life. Plus, I'm not blind."

She felt the heat in her cheeks. "Blind."

He sighed, as if annoyed. "I always want to confess to you."

"Confess what?"

"The truth, but I'm afraid you'll run away."

Isla wasn't sure she could survive on her own. She had been foolish before. Before she learned about family. "I have no place to go." The thought of the shelter gave her a sour stomach.

"When I hired you, you were pretty even with your heavy clothing. Overtime, you've transformed like a beautiful butterfly."

"I. I. Um."

"Don't say anything. I know my divorce makes me off limits. I wish things were different. Anyway, we'll have to be an unconventional family instead. Friends maybe."

"Friends." Until he found a woman who didn't mind divorce. "I left because I wanted a family. I felt longing when I saw..." Men. "Babies."

"You deserve a husband worthy of you."

I want you, but... "It's all very confusing."

"Yes, confusing. I have to get ready for my meetings."

"Okay."

"Have a good day, Isla."

He was gone, and she lay in his bed more confused than ever. Her heart ached for him. Still, his divorce and wanting his wife to die were very confusing. Hadn't Paul mentioned something. He may not live by the Church's rules, but he understood them. She bit her lip. Could she? Would Father be better?