49 - Valentine

Most mornings Leo woke hard after dreaming about Isla. It was odd because most nights he fell asleep talking to Autumn. It was one thing he couldn't do if Isla was in his bed, not if but when. Only Zach knew he had a ring. The two had gone to the same jeweler where Zach bought Lilli's diamond. Isla's was smaller and less expensive. Although Leo had the commission from the Clark deal, he didn't have family money like his friend.

On Valentine's Day, he could hardly concentrate. It didn't help when Zach kept popping in asking if he was nervous. He shouldn't have been. It wasn't his first time. Never did he think he would propose again. The romantic evening was very different from sunset at the summit after hiking all day. His life with Isla would also be different from the one he shared with Autumn. He liked it that way, not only was he older, but he was done with taking risks. More than ever family came first. His kids were everything, especially since they were the gifts Autumn left behind.

He might have rushed things with Isla, but dating a virgin wasn't easy. The hurt on her face, when they talked about Reagan left an ache in his heart. She was his future, and he needed to prove it.

Zach walked in and sat in the chair opposite him. "Keeping this secret from Lilli is killing me."

Leo laughed. "You had a ring for a year."

"Not a year. Six or seven months, but she knew about it."

Leo shook his head. "Only you two. Isla's gonna be shocked."

"No way she'll say no. You set the ball in motion the day you hired her."

"I couldn't see past the bun and the wool. Then I found out about the shelter and saw her vulnerability. It wasn't wham."

"Mine was. I saw her and knew."

Leo rolled his eyes. "That was lust."

"Call it what you want, but I love every quirky thing about her."

Leo loved every innocent thing about Isla. "I was wondering. Do you think it's weird for her to be engaged, but still work for me?"

"What difference does it make you've been paying her for sex already, right?"

Leo looked at his desk. He felt the heat as he shook his head. "So how should I do it? In the restaurant or not? On one knee?" He did the knee thing on the mountain.

"Backup. Are you telling me you two haven't? You're a saint my friend."

"Isla is religious. I respect her too much."

"No wonder you want to seal the deal. You'll be married before me."

The wedding night couldn't come fast enough. "So in the restaurant? On my Knee? What should I do?"

"We should ask Lilli?"

"No, she'd tell Isla. What are you doing for Valentine's Day?"

"Is that tonight?" Leo shot daggers with his eyes. "Just kidding. Takeout in bed is an option."

"Seriously and she likes you."

Zach smiled. "Especially in bed. No, we're going out too. I have a gift for her."

"Skimpy garment?"

"No, I have class. A necklace."

"Then the bed. I'll admit I'm jealous."

"Don't be. You and Isla are perfect. This time marriage will work out for you."

Leo didn't bother to correct his friend. His intention was to be a loving husband to Isla just as he had been."