31 - Butterfly

When Leo stepped out of his car and walked into his backyard, his eyes followed the movement in the pool. Ryan tiptoed around the pool in a fluorescent green life jacket singing. "Swimming, swimming, swimming."

He looked around for Isla, but found Reagan sitting away from the pool.

"Reagan."

She turned and shot up like a top smiling. "Hi Leo."

"You need to watch him. Children can drown in a heartbeat."

She dismissed him with a wave of her hand as she stepped closer. "That's why he wears the life jacket, so he won't drown. Besides, he hates water on his face."

Leo thought a few unkind things. The boy was six. Back in the day, kids used words like sissy, but Leo knew better. "Hey Ryan, get out of the pool."

The kid looked up and chanted his song as he climbed the ladder. Once on the grass, he ran around like a kid who ate too much refined sugar.

Reagan ignored her son. "How about a late dinner, you and me?" She ran her hand down his arm.

Cody came out dressed and started running around with Ryan. Leo stepped back. "I have dinner plans."

"Are you dating the bossy one? I thought she was your nanny."

Leo didn't answer because his eye caught movement as Isla stepped into the yard. Her hair was down around her sun kissed face. She wore a dress which showed off her shoulders and legs. Ignoring the physical reaction she stirred, he smiled and asked about her day. Isla answered, and he jumped on her question about changing to escape from Reagan. When he returned in shorts and sneakers, mother and son were gone, and his family sat in the car.

As soon as he slid into the driver's seat, Riley asked, "Dad, where are we going?"

"Charlie's."

"Really?"

"Yay!"

Both Riley and Cody responded excitedly.

Isla asked, "What's Charlie's?"

"It's a local casual restaurant."

Riley cut him off. "Dad never wants to go."

"That's because they have games for kids, and I end up sitting alone. Bored." The best thing was they were no tech games, like bean bag toss, ring toss, with no batteries or electricity required.

"You have Isla now!" Riley exclaimed.

Leo turned his head but couldn't see Isla's blushed face. He had heard other parents refer to it as date night at Charlie's. He wasn't on a date, at least not technically.

As soon as they sat at a table, the kids shouted their orders and ran to the game area. It was in the center, so he could keep an eye on them. Isla looked intent on reading the large menu. They had everything.

He asked, "How about a glass of wine?"

"No, thank you."

He felt the air leak out of his wishful thinking. "How about at home someday? After the kids are in bed of course."

There was the adorable blush. "Maybe."

The server approached. "What can I getcha to drink?"

Leo waited for Isla to ask for water. "I'll have a Sam's Summer, and two Sprites."

"Gotcha. Are you ready to order?" Isla shook her head. "No problem. Take your time, Mom."

Isla looked at Leo, who laughed. "It's no big deal."