45 - Fairy Godmother

As he reached to shut off his alarm, he cursed his boner. Isla. He had been dreaming of her, and instantly felt guilty. It was torture not claiming her lips as they sat together. Guilt again, but he promised to try. His funk was tiring.

Isla stood at the sink looking outside. He moved behind her and reached to the right for a coffee mug. She didn't move, so he kissed her head. "Good morning."

He moved away hoping she would show her blush. She didn't turn around. "Did you sleep okay?"

He nodded as he poured his coffee. "Only pleasant dreams of you."

The pink turned darker. "Stop teasing."

He took a sip of coffee. "I'm not." With any woman other than Isla he might mention how he woke, but she wasn't prepared. Thankfully, Cody interrupted his digression. Leo took his coffee upstairs to shower and dress.

Later, he stepped out onto the busy sidewalk. The wind cut through him. It seemed to come in from the waterfront and ricochet off the skyscrapers. Christmas was everywhere. How had Leo not noticed? Even Claudia's desk was decked out for the season. Had he been blind? Myoptic for certain.

He arrived before Chelsea and went to get a second cup of coffee. Even with Isla's help, he didn't have time for two at home. He had spent time on a search for library books. With the excitement of decorating their Sunday night routine had slipped.

Lilli was in the break room. Their old offices had a little kitchen. It was a kind name for the closet with a microwave and refrigerator. The new space had room for a table to sit and eat lunch. The agents didn't use it, but the assistants did.

He asked, "How was your weekend?"

Lilli looked up at him and stared. "It was good. How was yours?"

"We have a tree."

"Did the grinch return to his cave or did his heart grow three sizes?"

He paused. "My children are thrilled. Is Zach in?"

She nodded. "He's on the phone with Olivia discussing plans."

"What plans?" Olivia was the office manager at the New York office, but her duties extended to the smaller offices like Boston

"Seriously, Scrooge? For the holiday party. Did you forget?"

He definitely forgot. It had to be two months since he gave Chelsea his guest list. However long ago, it was before Autumn. The last thing he needed was to remember the parties in LA with Autumn by his side.

"No." He lied. "It snuck up on me."

"I just had a brilliant idea."

Lilli's ideas were often more painful than brilliant. "I'm not matching my tie with Zach."

Her eyes narrowed. "Why would you do that? I think you should bring Isla as your date."

"Date. It's all work."

"It's a Christmas party."

"Holiday." He wanted to annoy her.

"Whatever. Semantics. Austin's wife comes every year."

"And Zach's fiance will be there. So what? Isla's my nanny."

"Not even you believe that's all she is. Come on. Think how beautiful she'll look on your arm."

He couldn't argue her point. "She has nothing to wear and would feel out of place."

"I'll take care of that. I have some dresses that will be perfect. So I'll come after work tomorrow. I'll borrow some heels, her feet are the same size as my old roommate's."