39 - Packed

Leo's head swam as he parked in the long-term lot at Logan Airport. Ever since he hung up the phone with his mother, he wavered with uncertainty. Maggie Nelson's wisdom had persuaded him.

"Leo, I'm certain you won't regret being with her."

He had a list of arguments ranging from her mother might not let him in to he might not make it in time. He stayed up until two making flight and hotel arrangements, as well as booking a rental car. Then he emailed the Dwyer Mitchell human resource department requesting personal leave. Ex-wife didn't qualify for bereavement benefits. He also sent emails to both schools and teachers explaining the children's mother was sick and they had to leave town.

Whatever he forgot to do he could deal with from California. Zach had a key to the house. He would call Zach and Chelsea from the gate.

As they approached security, Isla looked pale. He frowned. "Are you okay?"

Her eyes pierced his. "I've never flown."

He should have known. "Just follow me. I need your license."

Once through security, he led them toward their gate. Isla's eyes darted around. Leo was accustomed to the long passageways filled with people. They passed many gates before they reached their own.

As soon as they sat, Riley wanted food. Leo sighed. "You just had breakfast."

Isla pulled out peanut butter crackers. Riley frowned, but took them. Isla pointed at the news stand across from their gate. "Can I go look?"

He nodded. "We have time."

Riley said, "I want to go too."

He waved his hand, too tired to argue and called his office. He asked for Chelsea first. "I'm taking my kids to California. Their mother is sick. HR knows. Text if you need me, but I don't have any appointments."

"Okay. I'll hold the fort."

"Thanks. Can you transfer me to Zach?"

"Hey man, where are you?"

"Logan. My ex is sick. We're heading to LA."

"Is that what was wrong yesterday?"

"Yeah. I'll keep you posted."

"I'll keep Chelsea busy." Leo's assistant had a reputation of sitting on her phone rather than taking initiative.

"Okay. Thanks." Isla and Riley crossed towards him. "Bye."

He hoped to hear from Percy before their flight took off. It was still early on the west coast, but he wanted to know if Autumn had held on overnight. He could be rushing to her funeral, but at least he tried.

Isla carried a book and Riley had candy. Isla tried to curb the sweets. Leo studied her face. She looked nauseous. When she sat down, he asked, "Are you okay?"

She shook her head. "This is new for me and I'm..."

Leo had never feared flying, but many people did. It was possible Isla had the fear of the unknown more than the flying. Thankfully, the mid morning flight wasn't booked, and he got four seats near each other. He would put the kids together across the aisle for takeoff. Leo didn't want them to pick up on Isla's nerves.

Just before boarding, Percy texted that she was holding on. Come straight to the hospital.

Leo hoped there wasn't a delay. Cross-country flights were long enough. He felt antsy and stood and paced waiting for their boarding call. Riley and Cody were busy eating red licorice. Cody would probably bounce in his seat for the next hour.