Chapter 2

I must have passed out or something. This can't be real. I go from the present day to the 1900s? I must be high or there must be some event going on. I know that I should probably turn back but I don't want to miss this opportunity. I mean who says that they have been to the 1900s? I start to walk around slowly and my face is astonished yet confused. I mean why is the place so quiet? During the 1900s Paris was the home and meeting of the world's most prominent painters, sculptors, composers, dancers and writers. Why is no one here? It should be like a movable feast. Everything looks so vintage. Perhaps it might give that perception from the dull lantern lit lights. Trees are fringed across the paths with the wooden benches. The roads are made from bricks and there are various puddles on the floor showing the moon glisten in them. All of the plasters on the wall are either a desaturated orange, green or red which compared to today's world everything is way more saturated. Even the posters look old with their big, bold lettering. As I walk through the condensed streets I can feel cans hit my head giving me a piercing yet quick pain. I rapidly turn my head rubbing it softly with my hand and see nothing. I brushed it off thinking that it was maybe it was just some kids messing around. I didn't think that France could get more romantic yet it does in the rain.

I see a light in the distance from an alleyway. Is this life? I walk towards it and enter the building of which it was coming from. As I step up the ominous stairs I reach a small stage with white curtains behind me. A bright light hits me and it blinds me. Everything is quiet. All I can make out is some black figures sitting around some tables. I see a microphone in front of me. I walk towards it and my steps are heavy. I feel like I need to say something or otherwise people are going to think that I'm a snake in the grass and I don't want to get arrested.

"Umm... has anybody else seen anything fall from the sky?" I say.

Everybody starts bursting out laughing. What are they laughing at? That isn't funny. I'm not some comedy genius. All of a sudden an air raid alarm goes off. The noise is piercing through my ears. Even a deaf person could probably hear this. Everyone's laughter suddenly turns into screams and everyone is frantically running about. Oh. That is what they were laughing about because the only thing falling from the sky is bombs not tins. I start to follow the crowd because I don't know where the air raid centres are. Everyone goes to this staircase that goes down to an ancient, abandoned train station. There are a couple of bunks stacked upon each other like bunk beds fringed around the place and it is packed in here. I go to the side and sit down to keep out of the way. There are so many thoughts running through my head. Me being here, does it affect the future? I mean I could step on a piece of plastic and send ripples through time. And how does everybody understand me? I mean yes some French people can speak English but not every single one. I don't want to die here either. If I could choose a nice, fulfilling, painless death or being bombed to death I think I know which option I would choose. What if I accidentally change the future? What if young Adolf Hitler comes here and I accidentally shoot him? I mean that would be highly unlikely but it could happen. On the one hand I would be doing the world a favour, on the other hand we wouldn't have human rights nor freedom. I bury my head into my knees and try not to cry because I will look "unmanly". Every man who is in this room has their hands out of their pockets and is standing up straight. They are tending their family and sheltering them by hugging them. And then there is me- the complete opposite. I have no family and I am sheltering myself from the world.

As I am feeling sorry for myself this beautiful girl comes up to me. She has a pale pink dress with long flowy blonde hair and brown eyes that shine finely.

"Are you okay? It is just I see that you are burying your head into your knees." she says in a French accent.

"Yeah it is just the alarm going through my head" I said.