Chapter 18

Usually, I don't like to pry on Paris. It truly is a wonderful city; however, coming back, it doesn't look like you're typical Paris. It looks like it's no longer free. It's captured by unknown, corrupt evil and is being run by the devil itself like any other city.

Sam dropped us right by Agatha's house. All of this journey, I've felt out of place and unwelcome everywhere. Getting the tingly feeling of seeing something familiar makes you feel so warm inside. It's an underrated feeling.

I walked nervously up the little stairs and trembled a little bit. I don't really know what point in time we are in. It could be 20 years in the future. I mean, I doubt it would be that much but still.

I turned around awkwardly so I could get some reassurance from Sam. His eyes twinkled in the darkness when the stars themselves couldn't. His gentle smile he gave me was all the courage I needed to knock on the door.

"You'll love her." I said to Sam.

His smile grew even bigger and he then proceeded to follow the same path I took to get up the little stairs.

I took a big, full swing and banged the door hoping we would receive a response. A few seconds went by and eventually, Gabrielle opened the door with no intentions that I would be there.

"Hi!" I said with an awkward smile.

Gabrielle stood there for a few seconds. She went through a few stages of something. First: confused, then surprised and shocked.

"I- what? What? WHAT!?" she said as she brought her hands to her face and pulled it almost like she was trying to bring herself to reality.

"I know, that's my daily life question." I said as a quip.

Gabrielle pushed me gently on the arm like she was playing around with me.

"You can't keep doing this, John." she said disappointingly.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I literally just said goodbye to you because you were going to war, and now-" she started to break down a bit, "now you're here. You could get into so much trouble for this!" she said.

"Yeah, well I decided to be in two places at once." I said.

She continued to look even more confused at me therefore, I decided to bring Sam out of the corner.

"S-s-Sam?!" she exclaimed.

She pulled her face even more. She turned white and pale. I would say that it looks like she had seen a ghost but she was also sort of turning into one too.

"Do you guys know each other?" I asked.

"He died. I don't know who you have brought, but this man, he died right in my arms. You're playing with a ghost." said Gabrielle.

Sam looked really puzzled. It was obvious that everything Gabrielle was saying was not ringing a bell for him.

"Well, that doesn't make any sense because I'm not dead. Am- I." he said.

"I'm supposed to be dead, sooooo." I said.

"Wait what!? Why is it that all the people in my life die?" Gabrielle said.

"Excuse me? Anyway, Sam brought me back in time so I can finish this mission with you."

We all just stood silent and stared at each other intensely. Gabrielle then broke that tension by pulling us both in for a hug. Sam obviously felt a little bit uncomfortable because he can't remember his past life with Gabrielle but slowly, he hugged affectionately back and tapped Gabrielle gently very awkwardly.