Chapter 9

Gabrielle

I make my way back to the place where we were interrogating John. Surprisingly, no one looked at me considering I'm really bloody and dusty. The place is less hectic, probably because people got shot so people would naturally clear away from that so they don't face the same fate.

When I enter the building we were in, there is blood everywhere; however, there are no bodies. It then dawned upon me that everyone scrambled to save their own lives. I pull off my tie and walk a little bit more until I see the Chief behind some barred windows giving me a cold stare. I enter the room casually and I see him pressing something hard against his hip.

"The Americans aren't going to be too pleased about this." he said disapprovingly.

"I promised them answers which is what we got. If they wanted him too then they should've put more guards on duty." I said.

"You surely don't think he's telling the truth. By the way, you look like hell. But I need to know if I can trust you." he said.

At this point I poured myself some whiskey because I deserved it after that chase and was drinking it.

"And you don't?" I ask.

"Well you've been a pretty cold bastard lately. I think you're messing up all of this because deep down you love him." he said.

"You don't have to worry about me, I'll chase him down and hand him over to the Americans." I said.

As I finish my whiskey, I leave the room to go on the hunt for John.

JOHN

I bolted out of that room and found myself on the street where people were running away from something. Was it that man who tried to kill all of us in that room? The bustle crowds had fear in their eyes as they were frantically running in different directions. I get out of the area and somehow I'm in this tight street where houses are crammed together. I felt lost. I didn't know where to go because I didn't know where I was and they took everything I had in possession away from me. The evidence that could've defended me was gone. I see some sort of corner shop in the street so I enter it.

Just like the streets- it was cramped. Everything looked grimy from the shelves to the walls. It's almost like they just don't like to clean certain shops. I walk up to the cashier who holds all of the liquor and tobacco behind him that totally doesn't look like they have some type of disease inserted in them.

"Hiya, random question, where am I?" I ask.

"Provence," he replied.

Where the fuck is that? I've never even heard of it. It definitely has a different feeling to Paris and that is all I know.

"How do I get back to Paris?" I ask.

"It's about a three hour journey," he said.

Great. That's just bloody great. I've got no money to get back and I've done enough illegal stuff already. I guess my plan is to sneak onto a traina and just hide in the toilets when they ask for tickets. I mean, hundreds of people do that already.

As I walk to the trainstation I feel like an outcast. I don't really know what I'm doing and I feel out of place with everyone yet I'm still existing. The weather is scorching hot and it feels unbearable to be walking in this but I must get to Paris and fix this mess I've started. I told myself before not to stop going back to the 1910s, but did I listen to my subconscious? No. Why is it that deep down I knew that it was wrong yet I still continued to do it when I got a taste for it? Hell, I didn't even want to come here in the first place. If I wasn't here then I wouldn't even be in this mess.