Missing Piece

Later that night Steve and the kids went into the screening room to watch a movie and I walked down to the living room with everyone.

"Hey, I thought you were going to be joining in Rogers movie night?" Tony said and I sighed.

"Um...Steve and the kids are having it together. There wasn't exactly a warm reception with me and Clara." I said and sat next to Clint and put my head on his shoulder.

"Hey, she will come around. She had a shock." Clint said and I nodded.

"I know. I'm not too worried. Connor was more than happy to have me back than I think anybody was." I said and Clint huffed a laugh.

"Oh I'm sorry, your sister who didn't let you go for 20 minutes..." Clint said and we all laughed.

"How have the kids taken the news?" I asked and Clint sighed.

"They just want to see you. They don't believe us." Clint said and I smiled.

"We will go soon." I said and Nat smiled at me.

"So since Steve is okay and everything is coming around. Are you going to run away?" She asked and I shook my head listing it off of Clint's shoulder.

"No, I'm right where I belong." I said and Tony sighed.

"Well we are happy to have you back kiddo and so is Fury." Tony said and I looked at him oddly. "He will be here in a few days and wants to meet with you." Tony said.

"I wont be rejoining the team." I said and Tony shook his head.

"I think he wants to see if you are still part super solider and maybe have you train again." Bucky said and I groaned.

"Yes still part super solider and I don't know." I said and Bucky sighed.

"How do you know you are still part?" Bucky asked and I looked at him.

"You don't want to know how I found out..." I said and Bucky thought and then mad a gagging noise.

"Yeah I didn't want to know." Bucky said and I laughed hysterically. We all just sat around talking and a couple of hours later Steve came in and looked at me.

"Connor would like you tuck him in." Steve said and I just looked at him and smiled. I got up and headed to Connors room. I walked in and he was sketching in his sketchbook.

"You remind me of your dad so much." I said walking in and Connor smiled.

"Dad draws?" Connor said and I sighed.

"He doesn't anymore? Oh that's wont do. I will talk to him." I said sitting on the edge of the bed. Connor put his stuff down and then took ahold of my hand.

"I'm sorry about Clara." Connor said and I shook my head.

"It's okay Connor. I'm surprised you came around as fast as you did." I said and Connor sighed.

"Can I tell you something?" Connor said and I nodded.

"Of course you can." I said .

"I felt you." He said and I looked at him oddly. "I mean when you came back, something shifted in me and I just felt that a missing piece of my life was back. I didn't tell anyone because I thought maybe it was because Aunt Laura was back but it was you." Connor explained. I released his hand and pulled him into a hug.

"You are pretty amazing kid." I said as we broke apart and he smiled. I kissed his cheek and got him tucked in.

"Get some sleep and I will see you in the morning. You want some pancakes for breakfast?" I asked and he got excited.

"Yeah!" Connor said and I smiled as I stood up from his bed.

"Sounds good. Light out?" I asked and he nodded.

"Good night mom. I love you." Connor said as I was standing at the door.

"I love you too buddy." I said and closed the door. I look towards Clara room and knew Steve was in there. I stopped and leaned against the hallway wall listening in to their conversation.

"Hey, do you think you could cut your mom a little bit of slack?" Steve asked and Clara sighed.

"Dad, I'm not Connor." She said.

"I'm not asking you to be your brother Clara. I'm asking you to maybe understand this is hard on your mom too. You and your brother were everything to her." Steve said.

"Then why did she let herself get killed?!" Clara asked upset.

"She was saving me." Steve said and I could hear the hurt in his voice.

"What?" Clara asked.

"I screwed up, I made a mistake and I got an agent killed and then when the prisoner set a grenade off the room with me and your mom in it she pushed me out first." Steve admitted.

"Would it be okay if you told mom good night for me?" Clara said and I sighed decided to make myself known. I stood in the doorway of the room.

"I just got done tucking in Connor. I heard you Clara, good night." I said and she gave a small smile. Steve kissed her forehead and covered her up.

"Sweet dreams." Steve said as we walked out of the room. He took my hand and I smiled.

"How was Connor?" Steve asked and I smiled.

"Amazing. I missed so much Steve." I said and he nodded.

"Let me show you something..." Steve said and took my down to the screening room.

"We watching a movie Captain?" I asked and he laughed.

"Something like that." Steve said as we sat down and he started playing something on the screen and my eyes instantly filled with tears. He was showing me home videos he took of the kids.

"Steve..." I said as tears started flowing. He pulled me close to him as we sat and watched.