4- A normal morning

Nine years later

I woke up startled at five am. I'd been having nightmares the whole night. Not that this was something new, but it still scared me.

It had been exactly nine years since the voice left me.

Nine years hidding the secret.

Nine years practicing with my powers in the shadows.

Nine years feeling like a complete impostor.

Weird thoughts started fogging my head. Scary thoughts. I started having a headache.

This'd been happening for a couple weeks, so I knew how to act.

"Go away" I thought, clearly and loudly "I'm not helping you"

The thoughts leaved as spontaneously as they'd come up.

I got out of bed. There was no chance of me going to sleep again.

Blindly, I started searching for my glasses. I put them on, grabbed all my clothes and zombie-walked to the bathroom.

The light inside the bathroom blinded me. The shower was running. Someone was singing.

"Ugh, Isa, I dunno how can you get up at this time without looking like a total corpse"

"Ay, hermanita" Came the reply from the shower "I have to be the first in the shower or there won't be any hot water remaining!"

Of course. But little did she know that she was the only one that actually stayed in the shower for longer than five minutes.

When my turn came, I entered while Isabela brushed her beautiful long hair. If I had a hair like hers, I would never brush it. It's already pretty, there's no need for brushing. Not that I brush my hair. It's impossible. So why bother?

I felt the hot water hit my back. The vapor gave me a headache again. Thoughts fogged my mind once more...

"No."

I violently turned the water to the coldest. The freezing water pushed them away.

"Mira?" Isabela asked from outside the shower "Is everything ok?"

"Yup" I answered, leaving the shower and shivering "Just wanted to try roman bath"

"Oh, ok" She replied and kept appling make up.

At exactly half past six, Luisa came. She always slept more than both of us, like papi.

"Hi sisters" She yawned 

She got into the shower without further words. We both knew she wouldn't react until she drank a gallon of coffee.

"Want me to wake her up?" Isabela said mischeveously.

I nodded. Nothing better to get me out of my thoughts than good old family pranks.

So Isa got closer to the toilet and flushed.

"Ahhh!" Luisa screamed.

When we flushed, the water turned cold inmediatly. Thant was something Isa and I knew and used to use in our favour.

Luisa got out of the shower, put on her clothes while she was still wet and started chasing Isabela through the whole house.

I giggled.

Half an hour later, we were all in the kitchen having breakfast. Luisa was still wet. Mami told her to go dry if she didn't want to catch a cold. I was kinda scared that she'd be mad at us, but she was laughing with Isa. They both went upstairs together. I overheard Isabela telling her that she'd make her hair as an apologize.

I forced a piece of toast down my stomach. I was never hungry lately. Next to me, my cousin Camilo was eating as if he hadn't eaten in weeks. Although he was thin as a stick, since he catched that tapeworm a few years ago.

My oldest cousin Dolores was snoring over her toast. Her younger brother Antonio was also sleeping, his head tilted over her shoulder.

In the other side of the table, Bruno was feeding her daughter Blanca a mixture of Tostarrica cookies and Colacao.

And mami was shouting at us to get ready, as we were late.

I sighted. Just a normal morning.

We all grabbed our lunchboxes and went out of the house. Everyone waved at us.

Isa and Dolores were the first to leave the group. They went to college in the outskirts of town.

Mami and Tía Pepa always wondered how did they make it on time to class. Little did they know Dolores's boyfriend, Mariano, has a Vespa. The two of them jumped in, Dolores reeeeaaally close to Mariano, Isabela as further as possible in a motorbike that was meant for one.

So Luisa, Camilo, Antonio, Blanca and me kept going.

The next stop was the school. Antonio and Blanca waved us goodbye and entered the green building.

Next to us was a girl with long brunette hair and purple glasses that I knew well dropping her sister Yraya.

"Lena!!" I cried and ran to her.

"Hi bestie!" She hugged me and then turned bright red as she saw Camilo.

I'd always thought there was something between them.

"Oh... H-hi Le-lena" He stammered

"Hi-hi Ca-camilo" She stuttered back.

"C'mon guys" Luisa interrupted the two little lovebirds "Let's get moving or we'll be late."

We were, in fact, nearly late. So we ran like mad through the whole town and just made it on time.

"See ya guys" Luisa went to her class and leaved the three of us in the corridor.

I sat on my desk in class with my books open, a pen under my ear, Lena smiling in my left side and Camilo half-asleep on the right side. I had my ruler in hand in case I needed to wake him up in the middle of a lesson.

I took a deep breath.

Today was gonna be a normal day.

Or, at least, that's what I thought...