9- He likes it cold

I ran not knowing where I was headed. Gabriel went with me. I apreciated that. It was much easier.

Well, I was being really selfish. I was gonna die. I already knew that. And I didn't want to drag him into it.

But as we ran together, I could imagine us some years later. Chatting in a café, drinking coffee in parks, dancing under the moonlight...

"No" I scolded myself "It'll be easier if you don't  get your hopes up"

We finally reached a place that was far enough.

"HEY!" I screamed at the top of her lungs "I'M HERE, YOU SHADOWY BASTARD! COME AND GET ME!"

For a couple of minutes, nothing happened. Then, I heard a voice. The voice. I turned franatically to Gabriel and saw that he had heard it, too. I wasn't mad, after all.

"See you found me... Nice. But I've got plans for you..."

Suddenly, I saw three figures aproching us. They got closer and my heart skipped a beat.

Tía Pepa, tío Bruno and mami were walking towards us.

I was too shocked to speak.

"So you're on the evil team?" Gabriel asked confused

"But of course" The three of them said at the same time. But their voices weren't as usual. They sounded monotone, like a recording.

"No... Mami..." I got closer to her 

"Shut up, you silly child!" She hit me across the face, and I fell backwards.

"MIRABEL!" Gabriel got close to me and helped me up.

I was completely dumbstruck. My own mother... She...

"Mirabel?" Gabriel touched my shoulder.

But I didn't notice. I was about to burst.

"HOW COULD YOU?" I yelled to the voice "YOU CAN USE ME, YOU CAN DESTROY MY CHILDHOOD, YOU CAN MAKE ME CHOOSE AND MAKE ME FEEL LIKE AN IMPOSTOR MY WHOLE LIFE. BUT YOU DO NOT, I REPEAT, YOU DO NOT HURT MY FAMILY!"

I was so so angry. But I couldn't fight anyone. 

In my rage, I realized something. When mami slapped me, her hand was terribly cold. Perhaps the shadow liked it cold.

I came up with a plan. A risky plan, but our only chance.

"We have to go back!" I cried.

And Gabriel and I ran back.

Lena's POV

"Shhh. It's ok. Stay with me." She kept repeating the boy that was now half-uncouncious in her arms.

Some of her friends tried to help, but Camilo could only be treated in a hospital. Lena's eyes grew in fear as the dark purple stain in his belly grew bigger and bigger.

"Le-Lena?" He asked. His usually cheery voice was now weak and grey.

"Try to relax and save your breath, cielo" She said. She had started to call him things like that uncounciously.

"No... I need to tell you something important. Just in case... in case I... don't make it..."

"Don't say that. We're gonna get out of here and then we'll do whatever you want, ok? Watch a movie, or go to the theater, or-"

"Lena, I love you. I know I'm being selfish because I'm probably gonna die and you might have trouble finding love if you think of me but I just wanted to tell you..."