Chapter 1: Decision

Present Day

The Icewing Prince looked around his dorm. It was a small cave inside a long hallway filled with other caves that had sleeping dragons in them. He shared his dorm with a Sandwing named Qibli. One of the most up-beat and out-going dragons he'd ever met.

Qibli was sleeping soundly on his leafy-bed on the other side of the dorm, snoring, as usual. Who knew Winter would miss that part of him when he'd leave?

He just sighed and grabbed his leather bag with the essentials and walked out the cave, making sure to lift up his tail to make sure his spikes wouldn't scrape the floor.

But before he left the dorm, he looked at his back ankle where a piece of Skyfire was. It was the only rock in the world that prevented his mind from being read.

He reached back and took it off, leaving it on his leafy bed.

As he got out of his dorm, he looked across the small hallways and peered into the room across from him, it was home to a Seawing named Turtle. Although he was very shy, Winter knew he was capable of great things. It was because of him that they had a chance to defeat Darkstalker.

Winter smiled and looked at the other leafy unoccupied bed, it was home to a deceased Mudwing named Umber.

He never really knew the Mudwing but he was very strong and willing to protect the ones he cared about.

Not like me.. Winter thought with a frown.

He exited the cave and walked down the hall where there were two other rooms, for the girls.

On the right, was a Skywing. Strong, fierce, confident, kind. 

That Skywing was named Peril.

Her scales were like fire, able to burn anything they touch. But they were also a way to save and help others. Winter knew she saved Clay from a Dragon Viper bite, although Clay is limping for life and left with a big scar, he wouldn't mind.

Winter could smell the smoke from her scales from outside the room, but they always smelled like cooked walrus, one of Winter's favorite dishes.

He turned around and entered the other room.

That cave was home to a Rainwing and a Nightwing.

The Rainwing was like Qibli, but she was more energetic and outgoing. And, like Turtle, she was capable of great things. It was her writing skills that defeated Darkstalker. 

Winter smiled and chuckled, remembering the time she tried to get him to eat a cooked banana she and Peril made.

He looked at the other leafy bed where a sleeping Nightwing was resting.

Moon... 

Winter loved her. 

He didn't know why his heart decided to fall in love with her, but it did.

He almost had the urge to wake her up and tell her 'goodbye' or 'I'm sorry' but he couldn't. she was sleeping so peacefully.

He sighed and left their cave and ventured to the end of the hallway. And for one last time, he looked at the sign at the entrance that read 'Jade Winglet' along with the names of the dragons and their tribes.

He sighed and left the mountain.

------

Winter stared up at the starry sky.

He knew he was the cause for so much pain. Not only in his life, but the other lives around him, his brother, his cousin, his parents, his Queen, his tribe, his clawmates... 

He had enough. 

He clutched his sac that was slung over his shoulder that carried all his belongings and sighed.

It's for the best. He thought. But as soon as he was about to lift into the air, he heard his own voice call to him.

"What about Moon?"

Moon.

Winter loved Moonwatcher.  

But so did Qibli.

"He'd make a better mate than me..."

Winter looked back at the entrance to what had been his home for the past few months, Jade Mountain Academy. He hesitated on whether or not to go back inside and say goodbye, but he couldn't. They'll try to stop him.

And as he saw their faces flash in his mind and smiled, a single tear falling from his dark blue eye. He spread his wings and took to the air.

"Goodbye... Jade Mountain Academy"