4: The Sorting

Untraceable chapter 4

DISCLAIMER: all characters and the main plot go to JK Rowling, the amazing author of the HARRY POTTER SERIES!! I OWN NOTHING! apart from Sapphire Malfoy and maybe a few other characters when i make them up.......... ALL RIGHTS GO TO JK ROWLING!!!

and now for the chapter... ;P

The door swung open at once and a tall, black-haired witch stood there, framed by the light sining from inside the castle. She had a stern face but she looked kind enough. I think.

"The firs'-years, Professor McGonagall" Hagrid said.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here." She pulled the door wide.

The entrance hall was so big that it would have fitted a whole 2 story house in it. The stone walls were lit with flaming torches and I was reminded of Nuri. Hopefully she is ok. The ciealing was so high that I couldn't see it, and a magnificent marble staircase lead to upper floors.

We followed the McGonagall lady silently across the flagged stone floor. The rest of the school was obviously behing a door to gthe right because I could hear muffled laughter and chatting coming from it. But the teacher lead us into a small chamber off the hall. It was completely empty and silent apart from the nervous whispers of us first-years. Everyone was close together and I resisted the urge to yell "PERSONAL BUBBLE PEOPLE!". Just.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," Professor McGonagall started.

"The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The sorting is a very mportant ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room." She said. Cool, I've never had a family before, this is gonna be AWESOME!

"The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin." I laughed quitely at how she put Gryffindor first and Slytherin last.

"Each house has its own noblre history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn you house points, while any rule breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honour. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours." Ohhh... Thats a bit tricky... I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of rule breaking in my life...

"The sorting ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting." Her eyes lingered on Neville, who was trying to do up his cloak properly, and the dirt smudged on Ron's nose. I saw Harry trying to flatten his hair. It didn't work.

"I will return when we are ready for you. Please wait quietly." Said McGonagall and she left the chamber.

"How exactly do they sort us into houses?" Harry asked Ron. He shrugged.

"Some sort of test, I think. Fred said it hurts a lot but I think he was joking." Nice Ron, I could see Harry thinking about what would happen and getting more nervous by the second. Hermione was whispering about every spell she had learnt and hoping it would be enough. No one was listening properly. Not even me. Psht, I never listen.

"WHAT THE-" I said loudly as about twenty ghosts came streaming through the back wall. Hermione covered my mouth before I could finish my sentence. The ghosts were arguing. A fat little monk ghost said

"Forgive and forget, I say we ought to give him another chance-"

"My dear Friar, haven't we given Peeves all the chances he deserves? He gives us all a bad name and, you know, he's not really even a ghost - I say, what are you all doing here?" a ghost with a ruff and tights asked, suddenly noticing us first-years.