17: Through The Trapdoor part 1

Untraceable chapter 17

The morning after that horrible detention, Harry pulled me and Hermione aside in the common room and quickly told us about how somehow his invisibility cloak had been found and brought back to him, at the end of his bed with a note that said 'in case' attached. Hermione instantly started trying to figure out who had put it there and began making accusations just seconds later. I, on the other hand, was explaining to Lee Jordan how I was going to buy a pet llama when I grew up. He didn't seen very interested for some strange reason!

Looking back, I will never remember exactly how I managed to keep my head and pass my first-year exams when I half-expected Voldemort to come bursting through the doors at any moment. A glance behind me when we were doing our papers told me that Harry was facing the same problems. But I did go every single day and make sure Fluffy was still guarding the trapdoor.

The classrooms that we had to do our written tests in were sweltering hot. Even with the windows flung wide open only a faint breeze would drift through the classroom from time to time, usually when someone would finish their test and leave, swinging the door shut behind them.

Even I was under pressure when we had to do our practical tests. And I am usually the most laid-back person you could ever meet. In Charms, my pineapple that was supposed to tap dance across the table ended up doing a jazz dance. In Transfiguration, my mouse turned into a perfect, pretty snuffbox but when I was asked to turn it back into a mouse for extra credits it turned into a llama. And my forgetfulness potion ended up reminding professor Snape that he needed to give me a detention. Luckily though, I think the teachers thought my mistakes were due to my crazy,  not normal, uniqueness and meant for the mistakes to happen. And professor Snape decided I was too annoying to spend an extra hour with so he cancelled the detention.

Harry kept apparently having recurring nightmares and pains in his scar, ever since the trip into the forest. Ron and Hermione were to busy studying to take much notice or worry but I didn't study at all (what a waste of time!) and was quite concerned for Harry. Ron and Hermione were also not as worried about the Philosophers stone being stolen by Voldemort either. I, however, thought it was a very good reason to be frightened.

Our very last exam was history of magic. I didn't try very hard. I'm pretty sure the words 'llama' and 'unicorn' were in at least every second answer. When professor Binns finally told us to put down our quills and hand in our parchment, I was the one who started the cheering.

"YES! FINALLY! FINISHED AT LAST! PEACE OUT MOTHERFUCKERS!" I yelled, throwing my parchment at the front of the room and running out the door. Then I realised Harry, Ron and Hermione weren't with me so I calmly waited for them outside the door. Just kidding. I burst back in the classroom and dragged them out with me. I swear if everyone rolls their eyes at me one more time, their eyes will fall out of their heads.

"That was easier than I thought it would be," said Hermione as we joined the crowds of people spilling out of the castle and into the sunny grounds.

"I needn't have learned about the 1637 Werewolf Code of Conduct or the uprising of Elfric the Eager." Hermione always liked to go through the exam papers afterwards but it made Ron and I feel sick, so we wandered down by the lake and flopped under a tree. Fred, George and Lee were tickling the tentacles of the giant squid, which was basking in the warm shallows. I would have joined them but I was having a nice time basking in the sun myself.

"No more studying." Ron sighed dreamily.

"Not that you or Sapphire studied anyway." Harry joked, beating Hermione to saying it herself. But his face fell into one of frustration again.

"Oh cheer up, Harry!" I said.

"Yeah! We've got a week before we find out how badly we've done, there's no need to worry yet." Ron agreed. Harry just nodded, rubbing his forehead.

"I just wish I knew what this means!" He burst out angrily.

"My scar keeps hurting - it's happened before, but never as often as this."

"I'll ask the llamas what it means later." I told him comfortingly. He cracked a smile.

"Go to Madam Pomfrey." Hermione suggested.

"I'm not ill. I think it's a warning... It means danger's coming..." Harry said. Ron, who could not get worked up on a sunny afternoon like this, tried to comfort him.

"Harry, relax. Hermione's right, the Stone's safe as long as Dumbledore's around. Anyway we've never had any proof Snape found out how to get past Fluffy. He nearly had his leg ripped off once, he's not going to try it again in a hurry. And Neville will play Quidditch for England before Hagrid lets Dumbledore down." Harry nodded, and then he said he couldn't shake of a feeling that there was something very important he'd forgotten to do. But Hermione wouldn't believe him.

"That's just the exams. I woke up last night and was halfway through my Transfiguration notes before I remembered we'd done that one."

"I don't know, Hermione, I have been having the same feeling as Harry, and the llamas seem worried about something." I don't think I should have added the part about the llamas - Hermione just dismissed my opinion as me be stupid as normal. But then Harry suddenly jumped to his feet.

"Where're you going?" Ron asked sleepily.

"I've just thought of something," said Harry, he was chalk white and looked like he might throw up.

"We've got to go and see Hagrid, now."

"Why?" Panted Hermione, trying to keep up with him.

"Don't you think it's a bit odd," began Harry, scrambling up a grassy slope.

"That what Hagrid wants more than anything else is a dragon, and a stranger turns up who just happens to have an egg in his pocket? How many people wander around with dragon eggs if it's against wizard law? Lucky they found Hagrid, don't you think? Why didn't I see it before?"

"What are you talking about?" Said Ron. But Harry, sprinting across the grounds towards the forest, didn't answer. I, however, knew exactly what Harry was thinking.

"Shit." I muttered.

"What?" Hermione asked.

"Shit, shit, shit, shit, SHIT!" I yelled, sprinting after Harry.

Hagrid was sitting in an armchair outside his house; his trousers and sleeves were rolled up and he was shelling peas into a large bowl.

"Hullo," he smiled.

"Finished yer exams? Got time fer a drink?"

"Yes, please." Said Ron, but Harry cut him off.

"No, we're in a hurry. Hagrid, I've got to ask you something. You know that night you won Norbert? What did the stranger you were playing cards with look like?"