14. Observant Feelings

Benedict was doing his very best to delay preparations for the day he is sentenced to misery, but over the last few weeks the princess seemed to become restless with him, even deciding to advance their wedding date, to yours and his dismay.

His weeks were full of him dreading the day he marries the princess. Having to see that god forsaken woman every day for the rest of his life. He was already miserable, but you made it seem as if he could bare. After your last few meetings with Lord Bridgerton at the last few events, the two of you seemed to have developed a trend to leave early and meet elsewhere. It was a dangerous game indeed but deep down, the two of you loved the risk.

Now there was an unspoken arrangement between the two of you. You would meet at the secluded side of town and simply enjoy each other's company, following wherever your feet took you both. Ranging from sitting at the harbor with your feet in water, watching the sunset or stargazing far out into the deep forest where no one dares to go alone.

Benedict should feel guilty. He was engaged, yet when he was with you, it felt right. As if it was where he was supposed to be.

Fireflies- VSQ

You should be ashamed of yourself

You should be ashamed of yourself. Keeping the company of a promised man yet here you were walking into the Observatory Ball that was held in a glass building that overlooked the illuminated forest down below. With That same promised man being the only thing on your mind.

The only person you were looking for was Lord Bridgerton, and there he was, based on the serious face he and the viscount displayed there seemed to be a difficult conversation going on between them.

"Benedict, I understand that your desires may not rest with the princess but you must stop entertaining your lady's company. What if someone is to see you. Then what? We are shamed by the highest of titled nobility and cast out of society?"

Stop seeing you? He could not.

"I would like to have you know that what I do with her is none of your concern, nor do I intend to cease meeting her as she is the only thing keeping me sane. My own family is pressuring me to go into a marriage that I do not want." Benedict seethes. Anthony's brow raised in thought.

"Imagine you had gone through with your betrothal to Ms. Edwina. What of Kate then? You were prepared to live every waking moment of your life in regret, knowing that you let her go, and that is the difference between you and me, brother. I would never dare to make such a sacrifice with her."

The Viscount looked as if he had an outer body experience. His eyes wide, and jaw locked. He was tense, not in anger or irritation but confrontation. Benedict was right.

Anthony knew the moment after Daphne had caught him and Kate that one day, he would regret marrying Edwina. His feelings for her were too strong. He is ashamed at his previous intentions, being so willing to part ways with Kate and marry her sister.