22. The Latest Whistledown

Dearest Gentle Reader,

It has been brought to this author's attention that there was a second game afoot amongst the tons equestrian march. Intended as a scenic delight, quickly descended into chaos as not one, but three of our dear ladies vanished into the depths of the forest. The unrecognized young lady often seen in the company of Lady Danbury—her identity remains tantalizingly elusive—emerged alongside Miss Eloise Bridgerton, both shielded under layers of mud. Most shocking of all, our beloved Princess Victoria returned with a twisted ankle, and quite the story to tell. With every limp, she serves as a stark reminder of the perils lurking within even the most genteel of pastimes. The forest, it seems, holds many secrets, and so, it appears, our esteemed participants especially the ones we know so little about.

--Lady Whistledown

Society Papers

"What do you think Mademoiselle?" Mme

"What do you think Mademoiselle?" Mme. Delacroix's elegant accent questioned you as you eyed your appearance in the looking glass with awe. The dress was unlike anything you'd ever worn before. The fabric was a stunning cobalt blue, covered in a delicate lace the crept up from the hems to around your waist where it cinched you elegantly above your corset. The bust lined with a gentle white stitching that made the dress truly stand out.

"Oh My-- It is perfect." You say, taking a light hold of it and pivoting slightly.

"It's a beautiful colour on your complexion, ma Cherie. You resemble Cinderella." Her compliments break you out into a smile, "Then it is settled. She will wear it to the Queen's Ball this evening." Mme. Delacroix smiles as she helps you out of the dress and brings it to the back to be packaged.

"Must we attend every event that is hosted?" Your shoulders drop with dissatisfaction as adjusted your dress once more. "You plan on attending tonight's ball?" Lady Cho chimes into the conversation, earning a raised brow from your mama. "Is there a reason we should not?" Suddenly the inaudible whispers from those around you finally resonated within your hearing.