Chapter 7

A swirl of black sand struck me and made me lose balance and fall off my ice path. I was too dazed to create a pile of snow on the ground to catch me, so I thought it was this was the end.

What a great first day of school, my last thought was.

2 meters from the ground, a figure wearing a blue sweatshirt swooped in and caught me bridal style. It was Jack.

"I don't like you, but I also don't really want to see you die on your first day," he muttered as he set me down. I brushed off my pants and tightened my bun.

"Thanks," I said. "But this never happened." Jack nodded in agreement and we both headed in different directions.

I saw Agnes huddled in a corner with Vanellope fiercely shouting at the black sand. She was sassy, but not enough to make the sand go away. I raised my hand and an ice spear formed. I stabbed and ninja-whacked the black sand figure till they were gone. I created an ice staircase rising up to a 2nd story classroom window. I gestured toward it.

"Go on," I yelled. They stumbled up and opened the window and tumbled through. I thawed the stairs and got back in the fight.

***

After another half hour of fighting with these weird nightmare things, the guardians showed up, looking angry. Sandman was fighting a black tornado of sand, and North and Bunny a hoard of nightmares, and Tooth was helping Peeta Mellark throw bread at them. Jack was comforting a scared Heather who was huddled in a corner. I rolled my eyes and slashed at another nightmare, but missed. It hit me with full force...

I collapsed and the next thing I knew I was falling through a prickly bush, thorns poking me and making my cold blood drip down my pale arms.

"Agh..." I kept falling. I tried twisting my body but I kept falling with my back to the ground. I landed with a hard thud and a cracking sound in my ankle. I whimpered and tried to stand. I fell and just stayed there. I couldn't get up. Everything hurt. My ears rang and my vision was blurry.

What happened?

A figure wearing black strode from the shadows. He had grey skin and yellow eyes and a menacing look. He chuckled.

"Elsa Arendelle!" He laughed. "I haven't visited you in a while. Still afraid of hurting Anna? Afraid of your curse? Afraid of yourself?" I squinted at the man and shook my head.

"Have we met before?" I plainly asked. "I don't recognize you."

The man chuckled again.

"Stop chuckling," I said. "It's annoying."

He just smiled and held his hands up defensively. "Alright, Elsa. But me being annoying is the least of your worries. For I am Pitch Black, King of Nightmares, Boogieman, feared by all!" I pursed my lips.

"Doesn't ring a bell," I brushed thorns out of my pants. "Can I leave now?" Pitch rolled his eyes.

"No!" He growled. "You are a prisoner of my nightmares. There is no escape!" I pressed my lips together and raised an eyebrow as I was thinking.

"But," I started. "What if I did this?" I flicked my wrist and an icicle went through Pitch's throat. I know it wouldn't kill him, but it still was enough to collapse and groan in pain.

I suddenly sat up. I was in the hospital ward, with the plushy white robot, Baymax, looking down at me. I heard a sniff from my left side and turned to see Anna, head resting in her hand with her eyes closed on the little bedside table.

"Anna?" I said. Anna bolted up, all the sleepiness gone from her face. She squealed and hugged me.

"I'm glad you're okay!" Anna exclaimed. "You've been out for about a day now." A day? Jeesh! Pitch's nightmare seemed to go on for five minutes. "Punzie's hair couldn't wake you up, neither could Baymax or Merida. Even Hans tried!"

"Hans?" I asked. Anna's eyes lit up.

"Oh, Hans!" She spoke dreamily. "I think he likes me! I think I like him, too. He's super nice and gorgeous! I don't know, Elsa, he might be, you know, the One!" I rolled my eyes and played with a snow flurry.

"You're most likely not going to find 'the One' on your first day, Anna," I told her. "Just give it a little time."

Anna sighed and leaned back with a smile. "I can't wait till you find your One!" I rolled my eyes and threw the covers off my body. I swung my feet around and ran my hair through my messy french braid. Madame Pomfrey scurried over to us.

"Are you feeling well, dear?" She questioned, putting her hand on my forehead to check my temperature. As if I shocked her, she jumped back and shook her hand. "I forgot that you're ice cold, like that Frost boy." She chuckled, shaking her head.

"I'm feeling fine," I smiled. "A little beat up, but fine." There were blue and brown bruises up and down my limbs. There were scratches everywhere from all the thorns. Wasn't that a nightmare? Was it real? I wondered. Apparently.

I got up, brushed off my hospital gown, and changed in the hospital wing's bathroom into a grey hoodie and black yoga pants. I put on light blue socks but no shoes and walked with Anna to the school cafe.