aug.1.22

Miss Jolene Gentry held the government envelope in her hands. Along the front, it read, "Dawson Cyrus." She tore the letter open, her glittering blue nails making the action easy.

"Sounds like my mother," Jolene muttered, taking the letter from envelope. She opened it, and groaned.

It was an official letter from city council, saying that her drag club was being threatened to shut down, as, according to residents of the city, says the club was "very damaging for youth."

Jolene tore the letter up, dropping on her desk. "Says the ass kissing church people," she muttered in disgust.

Deacon Sheffield stood in the doorway of Jolene's office. "Doing what they do best, Gentry: disturbing the peace." Deacon was dressed all in black, and at first, Jolene didn't recognize him in men's clothes. He was a looker, she thought.

"Countess Ella," Jolene greeted with a polite bow. "I didn't hear you come in."

Countess stepped through the doorway and over to Jolene's desk; carefully, he sat in the edge, and took Jolene's hand in his. "Stress does that, Jolene."

She exhaled suddenly; she was thankful for Countess. His presence was comforting. "It's just.... Every single day, we're getting these letters. I didn't give a shit at first, but now...." Hopelessness rested in her light brown eyes as she looked up at Countess. "I don't want to lose this. This is all I have."

Countess gently squeezed Jolene's hand. "You're not gonna lose this. I promise."

"These letters aren't going to stop."

Countess was quiet a moment before answering. "Then we'll fight it. We aren't going to stop fighting for what's right. And a safe space for people like us.... For queer folk.... Well, we won't be going anywhere, Jolene."

She smiled at him. "How are you so sure?"

He smiled back. "Because we got you, babe." Leaning down, he gently kissed her cheek. "Show starts at eight, the girls will be here in a half hour." Countess stood up. "Let the music play." With one last look, and an adorable smile, he left Jolene's office.

She exhaled slowly; with a man and a queen like Countess Ella, Jolene felt brave enough to tackle any obstacle in her way.