Chapter 21: Dark Storms

Tears stream down my face, one after another. I stare down at my arm and slid my finger over each mistake.

I can make it. I can do it.

Deep breaths, Mckenzie.

I shiver and sniffle and turn my attention back to Seth.

"You aren't bullet proof baby, but you're a bullet proof vest. And you've been through so much just to help others. You aren't going anywhere."
I watch Seth's lips form each word and each sentence, but I don't really hear his words. I can't really seem to catch a hold on each sentence. So I just slightly smile and nod politely.

"I should get going." He smiled, "but if you need anything you know how to get a hold of me?"

"Yes." I whisper.

"Good, then if you need anything just shoot me a text or call. Or just show up at my place." He kisses my forehead and then my cheek. "Don't go anywhere, McKenzie. Skies will brighten one day."

I take his hand in mine and kiss it. "My skies are rainy and I've come to except it. But I won't go anywhere while I'm flooded in."

"I'll carry you out. Dead or alive. I will always find you. I swear." He whispers.

"And I shall find you always." I mimic.
Seth leans in and squeezes me tight, waits, and then lets go. Without another word he exits the room with his stuff in his hands. I hear the sound of his feet going down the stairs, getting softer and softer. The front door swings open and then softly closes.

I curl up into my comforter even more, grabbing the sheets for security. I close my eyes and begin to dream until eventually the darkness wraps me in a blanket and carries me off.

***

I wake up and look around my room. The sun is still shinning. I slide out of bed with a sheet wrapped around my naked body. I scratch my head and stretch out my arms. I dash to my closet in search of an outfit. I grab one of my black tank tops and throw on a pair of lace black panties with black shorts.

Before I head down stairs I clean up my room a bit. I throw all my dirty clothes down the laundry shoot and put my bed back together. I bend over and take my hair out of a messy bun just to put it into a better looking messy bun.

I walk out of my room and run down the stairs. Just before I reach the sliding glass door to the patio the house phone rings. I skip over to the phone and answer it with a polite "hello."

"Hey honey. It's Aunt Jessie. I was wondering where your mother is.."

"Oh, she's not in right now but I think you can get a hold of her on her cell."

"Thank you dear, I'll try her cell. Love you, bye."

"Love you too Aunt Jessie, bye bye."

I hang up the phone and put it on the island. I walk over to the fridge, grab a cold water, and walk back over to the sliding glass doors. I open the screen door and step outside to see my brother and a few of his friends swimming. I smile and put the lid on my water bottle.

"Tyler!" I yell over the music. I lean up against the door and scream his name once more.

"Tyler!"

Tyler turns to me and gestures for me to walk over to him. I cross the patio quickly.

"Hey." He smiles.

"Hey." I smile back and pause, "have you heard from mom or dad?"

"No, why?"

"Aunt Jessie called." I shrug.

"Oh, okay." He says. "Where's Seth?"

"Oh he left like a half an hour ago I think. I just got up from a nap."