Chapter 2: A New Start

The ringing silence in the car made the air dry on the way to our new house. I had no idea where we were going so I decided to make try and make what little conversation I could.

"Where are we going?" I asked cautiously.

My parents just sat in silence for a minute. Finally my mom spoke up. "Our new home."

I rolled my eyes, I knew that already.

"No, I mean where is our new home?"

My mom sighed. "South Carolina.."

I stayed quiet. It's not that far from where we used to live..but I'm still going to miss West Virginia. I mean, all my friends are back home, how could I not miss it?

The rest of the car ride was silent until we stopped at a rest stop. As we slowed, everyone began stretching and releasing there seat belts to go in.

Dad went to have a smoke as soon as he stepped far enough from the pumps. Mom and I went to the bathroom. My brother got out of the car and stretched more thoroughly, yawning for a while. I made it back before mom did. By then dad was headed to the bathroom just as mom was exiting.

Once I got to the car I noticed my older brother Tyler sitting in his sit with the door wide open, enjoying the minute of relaxation he got.

All I did was look at him. I felt bad. This was all my fault. My family shouldn't have to be punished for it too.

I guess my brother caught me glaring because he said, "what?"

I was lost in my thoughts for a minute.

"Hmm?"

"What do you want? You were just standing there staring at me....is there something you'd like to say?" he looked over at me, obviously annoyed.

"No.. I was just looking." I looked down feeling worse now then ever, about everything. Tyler sighed. He knew something was wrong.

"What's going on?" He looked over at me with that 'give it up, tell me what's wrong' look.

"Nothing." I said softly.

"You know" he started with a sigh, "I know when you're lying...I was the one that taught you how in the first place." he chuckled "so...with that being said, what's wrong?"

He turned in his seat to face me. I guess I hadn't realized I was crying until he had the pity look cross his face. He moved quickly to my side of the car, kneeled in front of me and wiped my tears. His warm embrace consumed me. Silence took over the two of us for a while as we stayed like that, caught in each others arms.

"I don't wanna talk about it," I said wiping the wet spots on my cheek. He understood but had that look like he wasn't giving up yet.

Just as I said that my parents came walking up to the car. With a moment of quietness, we all gathered ourselves and ushered into the car. We all occupied ourselves until it was exactly the way it was before. Dad was driving. Mom was looking out the window as the scenery caught her eyes. Tylers' thumps moved quickly across his phone as he continued his conversations with others. I was popped my headphones in and turned up my volume until I felt deaf. It's something I always do when I have something on my mind. My parents don't like my music but I don't care. It's better then our generations idea of music.

I could see me parents lips moving, talking to each other, but nothing they were saying would leak through my music. I just tuned them out. I guess Tyler did too, because I saw him put his headphones in. After a couple minutes though, Tyler texted me. I knew he wouldn't give up..