Chapter 22: Cleaning Up

[The Next Morning]

•••

I'm stumbling around the kitchen in a long sleeved t-shirt and black leggings. It's early morning, for me at least. I'm a heavy sleeper and I usually don't wake up until noon. But here I am, standing in the kitchen leaned against my steel stained appliances, searching the refrigerator for some thing to eat at 8:00 a.m., but coming up empty handed.

Nothing. There is nothing to eat.

I continue my search in the fridge, but give up, extending my search to the cabinets and food pantry. I begin to open up cabinets, but still nothing.

I sigh loudly. My body isn't fully functional, yet, and I'm exhausted. When I tried to go back to bed earlier, my eyes just wouldn't seem to stay shut. In hopes of snacking, I nearly tossed my body down stairs. But my search was becoming difficult. I dragged myself down here for nothing, ugh.

Feet thud down the stairs and round the corner to the kitchen. I look up from my ever-long-search.

"Good morning." My brother peeps. I open up my arms wide for a recieving hug. He gladly steps into my arms and wraps me in his embrace. His arms snake around my body like an anaconda.

"Mhm, mom came home last night." I mumbled calmly into his chest.

"I know." He says into my hair, "she came into my room last night around midnight. I was still up when she got home."

"Oh." I reply. "I was asleep but she woke me up. I don't think she realized it actually."

Tyler pulled away from me and wondered over to the fridge. His eyes skimmed slowly. I knew he was listening as I talked, though.

"She was drunk." I said quickly but softly.

He peered out of the fridge for a moment. His eyes dart at me, "No, but she did have alcohol on her breath."

I tapped my hands on the island a little agitated. "How do you know she wasn't drunk?"

Tyler sighed and pulled out some frozen bacon. He placed it on the counter top, closed the freezer, and turned to me. Of course he finds food but I don't. "She drove home. She can't really be drunk and driving. She would've never made it home in one piece."

"Right." I say a little frustrated.

Tyler grabbed a frying pan and placed it on one of the larger burners. He sprayed the pan, waiting for it to heat up. Then he starts placing strips of bacon on the pan.

He turned to face me again. "She's in really bad shape." He sighed and buried his head in his left hand. "I have no idea what to do...I almost called Rachel last night. To get a rehab center? But then I realized it was crazy." He shook his head, "I'd a called Uncle Jack but...I know he and mom aren't really talking. I can't tell dad. Not anymore.." he sighed again. "What the fuck are we supposed to do Mckenzie?" He asked looking up at me.

There was a pause, she's our mother, she should be taking care of us, was unsaid but filled the air.

"Well..." I started, "I...think we should sit down and talk to her. I know she hasn't been around. She's been busy, on the road a lot with work. So...maybe this was just a stressed I-need-a-break moment." I blow hot air. "Maybe it's her not-so-cry cry for help, and maybe..she doesn't realize it." I bite the inside of my cheek as I stare at the ground.

Yes Mckenzie, because the ground is so fucking interesting! My subconscious shouts.

'Right' I say back.

I stare at the oncoming feet, headed for my direction until they stop in front of me. My eyes glance at his socks. He's wearing the socks I made him for Christmas. Cheesy and classic. I bought a pair of white socks in his size and tie-died them in his favorite colors. I signed them and wrote something sweet in hopes that he would hug me tight and say 'Thank you.' In which he did do, but instead of giving thanks, he hugged me and said 'I love you with all my heart.' I nearly cried my eyes out hearing that.