Chapter 25: It's Done

"Can you stop staring at me for like, I don't know, two seconds?" Kyle breathes in an agitated tone as he looks in my direction.

"I'm sorry," I whisper. He shifts his attention away from me again. I don't know what to say. I'm speechless. My mind can't wrap itself around the thoughts rushing through my brain. What did I do?

An ugly silence fills the unoccupied space around us. It's an uncomfortable, invisible touch. Kyle doesn't say a word and I don't bother to say one either for a while longer. Panic clings to me. I never knew Kyle had feelings for me. If I had, well I would've, I don't know, changed something.

Kyle stands, pitching the bridge of his nose, eyes screwed shut. His mouth forms as if to say something but he's speechless. Unable to say a thing, the silence between the two of us drags on.

"I should, um," I struggle to find the words, "I should probably go." My eyebrows knit together, arms crossed as I chew on my lip. I make a move to gather my stuff but Kyle grabs my arm.

"No. Fuck, you can't run from your problems every time they appear. You can't just leave." He spits out.

I drop my arms. "What am I supposed to say, huh? You said some nasty shit to me out there. How was I supposed to know you caught feelings for me? I thought we were just friends." I start to tear up, "you make me feel dumb for not knowing, like it's my fault! I didn't mean to hurt you but Jesus Christ I'm happy."

Kyle goes silent. He drops his arms to his side, "I'm sorry. I guess I should've known you wouldn't go for someone like me. You're right, you should be happy. I just don't think he's it, but you'll find that out on your own."

I throw daggers at Kyle with my gaze, "I'll find that out on my own? Fuck you, this is exactly why I 'run' from my problems. Wonder why I never talk to you? You're judgmental."

Kyle throws his hands up, "are you serious? I'm the least judgmental person you can talk to. Shit you just vented to me maybe a half an hour ago and I listened. I tried to help and give you advice. Judgmental my ass." He scuffs.

"When you aren't getting what you want, yeah, you are pretty judgmental." I shot back.

Kyle snarls and continues to through rude comments at me. "You're ridiculous McKenzie. You'll fucking figure it out eventually."

I take a step forward, facing Kyle and push his right shoulder. "I hate you," I nearly scream. "I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!" I start throwing punches to his chest as hard as I can, as fast as I can.

Kyle finally grabs my hand in mid swing and pulls me towards him. My arm rests across my body as I wiggle under him.

"Let go Kyle."

His grip was tight and only getting tighter. He moves in a couple inches closer, pointing his finger at me.

"Cut the shit Kenzie. Stop hitting me. I'm done." He says as he throws my hand back and shoves me a little bit. "If you want to be that way, then you can fucking leave. Look what he's already done to you? You've changed."

"People change Kyle. People change." I breathe out. "You don't have to like it, shit you don't even have to put up with it."

"Whatever McKenzie." He strokes his hair and sighs.

I bite my lip and point back to my set of bags behind me. "I should probably go." I step backwards, turning swiftly. I start picking up my stuff from the floor.

My eyes bore into the floor when I approach the door. Just as my finger tips reach the door knob, Kyle takes my hand in his. "Wait..."

I don't bother looking up or into his direction. Silently, I wait for him to speak. After a minute or two go by I tighten my hand in his.