The Last Thanagarian

07
The Last Thanagarian
Warning(s): Violence, Gore, SA (non-graphic),  Transphobia

The canon nested dead center in his chest pulsed with golden light. His gargantuan body towered over that of his progeny--Mongal and Jochi--upon the platform. His luminous eyes flickered across the pitch black expanse beneath them. His dry, pale-orange, skin curled with disdain as he looked upon 2 of his Elite.

Elder Chaytil--the oldest and most loyal slave to the Mongul line--and Teacher awaited Mongul's arrival with bowed heads. The platforms clanked into place as he docked with them.

"Sire," Greeted Chaytil, his head remained low.

"Have you my new things? The sands of the arena need wet with fresh blood." Mongul waved them off.

Teacher, a bone-white humanoid without a nose, cleared his throat. He untucked his hands from his purple robe. "We do, Sire. I have raised quite the stock for your games. The things I present to you are truly special, don't you agree Chaytil?" Asked Teacher.

"I believe it best to let our Sire decide. After all, he is most knowledgeable in stock for his games." Uttered Chaytil.

"Present your stock, Teacher, Round Three is nearly upon us." Mongul ordered without looking his way. He peered across the black abyss. With a glance alone, his drones built a platform the size of 2 tennis tables.

"At once, Sire," Teacher bowed. He reached into his robe pocket and freed a small device. "Put her on the platform. Just don't ruffle too many feathers." He muttered into the beeping contraption.

"May we choose our pets from this litter Father?" Questioned Mongal. "As your heir, I believe I'm ready to choose a champion." She resumed.

Mongul hummed. He glanced at Mongal, then at her younger brother Jochi. While she wore her armor, Jochi resigned to bare his breast. An ultimate mark of disrespect against the line. "Only the heir may choose." He answered in the docile snarl they were used to.

The platform split open and thrusted a toddler into the air.

Her auburn wings were ruffled. The leather armor swallowed her whole. She had no shield, no sword, only a scarred body and wild eyes. Eyes laden with fear and tears. She levitated above the platform, flapping her wings against the shrinking current of electricity surrounding her.

"What is this Thing?" Questioned Mongul. "I told you, the weak children are fed to the engine. Should they survive to age, that is when they graduate to the Arena. Take It to the engine." He waved his hands at the drones.

"But Sire, she--"

The volatile drones shot across the darkness. Her eyes snapped toward them. Widened at their rippling ports. She knew what that meant. She'd seen enough of those like her vaporized by the drones. She had no weapon, no shield, no way to defend herself. Her eyes flicked down to the platform.

Time slowed as they approached. Her heart jumped against her chest. She had to think fast.

The drones released their beams. Emerald plasma shot at her.

She dove from the air. Her wings folded around her body, adding speed to her dive. She vanished into the darkness.

Mongul's jaw clenched. He hummed and sent his drones after her. "This Thing has magic?" He questioned Teacher.