Heart of Chronos

13
Heart of Chronos

Supernova's violet light blinded Calvin as he came to. He lifted his hand to shield his eyes. His arm ached in response to that.

Calvin groaned and rolled over. His nose grazed against a slick body. He he tried to push himself up but his fingers would not stay put. He felt timidly as his blurred eyes adjusted to the light.

He knew what it was. He'd never be able to forget the feeling of warm blood between his fingers. Of torn flesh within his grasp. Not since the day he found his parents.

He blinked repeatedly but he was unable to clear his eyes. Every blink stung. "No," He whimpered. His throat was raw, slicing like shards of glass every time he breathed.

Calvin used his sleeves to clear his eyes. For a moment, he could see his hands. They were stained in blood. "Why am I back here?" He asked, still caught in a daze. His eyes slipped past his bloody digits.

He squeezed his eyes shut. "No," Whimpered Calvin again. He shook his head. "No, no, I can't do this again. I can't!"

His eyes burned. He was left with no choice but to open them, tears blazed down his cheeks. His lips trembled. He blinked the tears away.

He wished it wasn't real. He wished it was just a stupid nightmare. He wished he could wake up and end this, but he couldn't. "This is real," He whimpered.

A roar blared in his ears. He lifted his eyes from Gar's dismembered corpse. He strained and looked into the sky, praying he'd be able to see past the light. What sounded and felt like a jet flew past him. The draft blew him backwards.

Calvin fell on his face. He looked up and saw the "jet" crash into a boundless violet light in the sky. He squinted to see through the glare.

The jet wasn't a jet. An earthquake of a shockwave resounded from the crash. The figure skidded across the razed city street.

"Alister," Calvin whispered. He knew Alister couldn't hear him.

Alister turned in Calvin's direction anyway. His eyes sparkled with a golden light. They were focused on something in the sky. The source the blinding light—Supernova—no doubt.

Alister's wings had grew larger than Calvin ever saw them before. His entire body was encased in a gold. Honey streaks of electricity danced around his body.

"Wake up, wake up, wake up..." Repeated Calvin as his guardian broke into a sprint. He squeezed his eyes shut. The air clapped as Alister took flight.

"You aren't the only one dreaming," A low, sleepy, voice slithered into his ears.

Just as Alister struck him, he woke. Breathless and panicked. He sprang upright, frightened eyes sifting through the darkness. He reached to the side. To his surprise, Gar's warm body was not beside him.

He frowned and looked at the nightstand. 3:58 AM read the alarm clock. He shut his eyes, breathing in deep. His gemstone twinkled. In no time at all, he felt Gar's warming love calling to him like a beacon.

He climbed out of bed teleported mid-step. His body reformed on rooftop terrace. There, Gar stood. He leaned against the railing. His eyes lost to the night sky.

"Couldn't sleep?" Asked Calvin.

Gar perked up on the railing. He glanced at Calvin. Lips curved to a smile that didn't reach his eyes. He sighed and turned back to the moon. "No, not really." He muttered as Calvin stood beside him.