Hell or Flying

02
Hell or Flying

EARTH-9
YEAR: 2035

"—You can't just decide what's best for me, Dad! I'm sixteen years old, it's my life!" Abel shrieked at the top of their lungs.

They stomped away from their father. Sparks of periwinkle bursted off each stomp. Krypto, who'd been asleep at the top of the stairs, whined. The old dog huffed. He climbed to his feet and trotted down the hall.

The framed pictures that lined the wall rattled. Dick noticed a family photo slip free. He caught it, and narrowly caught another as he ascended the stairs. A third shattered behind him. He narrowed his eyes and marched after them.

"I am your father, I will control your life until my dying breath! Don't you dare take another step away from me." His voice boomed. He dropped the photos back onto their hooks.

Abel winced. Thankful their back was turned. They couldn't stand to be yelled at by their dads, but this just wasn't fair. They whirled on their father to share that sentiment.

"You sound insane!" They accused, a finger jabbed at him.

"I sound insane because I am insane; I'm a parent," Dick reasoned, arms strewn across his broad chest. He towered them.

Abel huffed and crossed their arms. "We've spent every summer on Thanagar since I was a baby. This is the one time a year I can spend time with dad and Snow on their home world. I haven't seen them in eight months," They said.

"I know you miss your dad and your brother, but Thanagar is not safe right now. The war with Rann—"

"I don't care about that stupid war. I was perfectly fine in Thanaldar last year. You would know if you bothered to show up," They argued.

"That's not fair, and you know it," He said. "Things have changed. Space-fare became on-ground warfare, Abel. Don't even get me started on your recent episodes." Said Dick.

They gasped, eyes gone wide. "That was my first episode in over a year, and I told you as soon as it happened. You're seriously using that to punish me, Dad?"

"I'm not..." He exhaled deeply to calm himself. After a deep inhale, he spoke on the next breath. "This isn't a punishment, Bel, I'm doing what's best for you." His voice was much softer than when he began.

"No, you're just trying to keep me here to get back at dad. I'm sorry, but he didn't leave me, he left you—and you don't get to just decide what's best for me without talking to him..."

"Your dad and I spoke, and we decided this together.  You are staying on Earth this summer." His tone was clipped. Tight, and strained at the mention of the separation. He could see his child's eyes dim.

With a sigh, he reached out, but they shrugged away. "We can still make a fun time of things, there's two whole weeks before summer school at the academy starts. Maybe we could hit the road, just the two of us? Heck, you could even invite Jaime along—"

"You talked to Dad?" They asked. "When?"

Dick's brows wove in confusion. Within a second they unbundled and he shut his eyes. A deep sigh dropped from his lips. "Bug—"

"When?" Abel demanded. Their eyes burned alight. "Because I haven't talked to him in weeks, and he didn't mention any of this the last time we talked . So, when?" They pressed on.