This Is Me Trying

18
This Is Me Trying
Warning(s): Brutal character death

The Titans Cruiser hummed as it broke through the clouds. A flock of birds matched the T-formation above. Unified in effort and strength. Silent homage to the Titans who, for the sake of Gar, had all come together.

Tulip glanced at Tim. He sat at the helm of the updated yoke.

She turned away as he steered. Her verdant eyes landed on Rachel. She squeezed the armrests. Her steel blue eyes pierced the main viewport. Tulip could see the tears fighting to break free.

She reached out and placed her hand on top of Rachel's. She was cold to the touch. Tulip squeezed and laced her warm fingers within Rachel's fingers.

Rachel looked at her. Her glare softened. She offered the biggest smile she could muster as a thank you.

"How's it coming along, Tim?" Questioned Starfire as she strut from the back of the cockpit. She wove through Cassie and Virgil's seats. As she got to Abel and Jaime, turbulence rocked the vessel.

"Aside from this freak storm? Peachy. I would still buckle up if I were you," He said as he steered.

"Is there any way to fly around it?" She asked.

"That's the thing, the Thanagarian upgrades negate storm clouds like Nth metal, but for some reason the negation system isn't working. If it weren't for the sensors, we'd be flying blind." He said.

A rope of electricity lashed across the main viewport. The Cruiser shuddered. Tim's brows furrowed.

"Try not to kill us, Boy Wonder," Tulip hissed.

"I think I'm gonna be sick," Cassie groaned.

"Yeah, because you downed eight shots of Casamigos before we left the party." Virgil muttered.

"Bite me," Cassie glared at him.

"Sorry, I don't want alcohol poisoning." Virgil retorted.

"Now is not the time," Starfire hissed. She put her hand on the back of Tim's chair. "Keep us in the sky, I'll go check the engine room to see if there's something wrong." She instructed before she walked away.

The ship trembled once more. Another flash danced in the dark skies. An emerald afterglow stained the storm clouds.

"Did you see that?" Snow asked Tim.

"Yeah, I did."

"See what?" Asked Jaime.

"The lightning was green," Said Tulip.

Rachel grimaced. Her gemstone burned in her forehead. She groaned and doubled over.

"Rachel—"

"It's a trap!" Rachel cried out.

A spark blossomed in the distance. Snow's eyes widened. "Tim!" He cried out as he tackled the boy to the ground.