One Foot In The Grave

11One Foot In The Grave

11
One Foot In The Grave

EARTH-19

The sun, as it drained from the sky, wavered upon a heated spectrum of light. The clouds were plump with color. Almost as if birthed from brushstrokes upon a canvas.Red, orange and lilac bled between them.

Wind rushed over his shoulders. The breeze strong enough to give him a slight push. He braced himself on the wobbling rail. The rusty metal groaned as it dipped forward toward the edge of the balcony. The cement chipped as the bolts pulled from the strain.

Calvin's gemstone chimed to life. Innate magic raced from his palms and engulfed the railing in emerald light, holding it in place with ease.

His eyes fell to the razed streets below. They were the darker shades of the palette. Obsidian-stained rubble traversed as far as the eye could reach. Businesses, neighborhoods, train stations... Mere ashes of the old world.

The world before Mordru. The world before him.

Crimson flickers of chaos magic still speckled the distance. Opaque blotches of smoke trailed into transparent wisps within the sky.

A sky laden with crimson auroras. White-hot bolts of lightning streaked from thunder clouds. A bittersweet beauty as much as a reminder that the dimension was still fragile.

Calvin shut his eyes. He inhaled a deep, filling breath. Sprites of chaos magic trickled from the sky. He grit his teeth as they flowed into his gemstone. Auras warmed to life in the darkness behind his eyes.

Calvin turned. He waved his hand at the space in front of him and opened a portal. He stepped through into a pitch black room. Emerald flames screeched to life. They raced in loops upon the floor. A pentagram manifested in the flames.

He sank into sprites. His body reformed in the fire. Welcomed by the pentagram, a show of sparks dotted the air around him. He lifted into the air and crossed his legs.

"I'm going to fix this," He said with his eyes shut. "I'm going to fix everything." He joined his hands to center himself.

His magic flowed out of him. It swirled into an emerald, white-hot orb around him. Obsidian tendrils slashed about outside the orb. A vibratory hum droned off the omega magic.

Calvin pulled in a deep breath. Steady, deliberate. The burn in his lungs made him shudder.

"Weakling." Irappu whispered in the distance. "You can't save him."

Calvin's eye twitched. They were on the precipice of breaking ground. The magic flowing around them wasn't exactly a spell... yet. They needed to create it first. Something that required immense focus.