Everything That Happens Next Is On You

16
Everything That Happens Next Is On You

Tears sheened Calvin's eyes. He blinked to shed them. Flashes of the future stained his mind. He unleashed a shaky breath.

"Why did you show me that?"

"Because you crossed a line, Brother, and it's time for you to rectify." Said the man with raven hair.

"That wasn't me," Calvin hissed. "That was the Time Spectre."

"You from the broken future." He reiterated. "Still you."

"Brother, at least let us introduce ourselves before we get into business?" Asked the girl. She didn't wait for him to respond.

"That old fart, out brother Destiny, will explain it after introductions," Pointed the girl. "The pale douche behind him is Dream, the hag in the bad suit is Desire, the naked chubster beside them is Despair (a total drag), and I am Delirium. Death is late, but she's always late. You're the newest and the youngest now, good luck wearing that crown."

Calvin pressed his hands to his temples. He winced to combat the mental whiplash. "What the fuck?" He mouthed, afraid the others would pounce on him if he spoke it out loud.

"This is really happening. I'm with the Endless. I am an Endless. I'm—"

"I'm going to throw myself into this cavern," Whined Despair.

"Okay that was dark." He muttered and crossed his arms. "Is she okay?" He whispered to Delirium.

"That's the least depressing thing she's said in five hundred years," Delirium retorted.

Destiny cleared his throat. "Now that we've mad introductions, we must move on to pressing matters."

"Which are?" Questioned Calvin.

Dream opened his cloak, allowing the darkness to flow free and encompass the lot of them in Calvin's dream.

Calvin's eyes widened as the dread came back. He dropped to his knees. Bone crunched under his weight.

A blade swirled inside of his stomach. He coughed blood onto Desire's feet. They rolled their eyes and kicked him onto his side.

He rolled onto his back. His lungs shriveled from without the grace of air. His throat bulged. The lump wriggled up his throat.

He clawed at it. Tears spilled from his eyes, horrified as the lump grew.

Despair knelt beside Calvin. Her fingers were icy, and her touch was a current of her very name. She caressed his face and wiped his tears. "It'll only hurt a little longer. When you expel It, you'll feel better than ever. I promise."

"Don't bother, sister," Desire rolled their eyes and stepped on a dismembered hand. "He will never learn. We've been here time and time again." They said.

Desire stood over Calvin and narrowed their eyes."It should've been you, not Father." Sneered the being.

Delirium dropped her vial of bubbles. She stalked over to Desire and gave them a shove. "Leave him alone, Desire, it's not his fault. He didn't know what Supernova would do. None of us did!"

"Don't be an idiot, Delirium. If anybody should've known, it was him." Desire spat.

Delirium sucked her teeth and knelt on the other side of Calvin. "Relax, Brother, I know the pain and the panic--it can drive one mad--but I swear to you, delight can be found in it all. Go back to your happy place, to the place only you and he know."