Law of The Sky

08
Law of The Sky

THANAGAR-9

"What is the meaning of this?" Starfire demanded. She stood protectively in front of Snow. "He's unarmed."

"Step aside. These are matters for Wingmen, not civilians." The commander's voice boomed. He inched forward, his battalion did the same.

"I am not a civilian, I am a queen, and if any of you move an inch closer, I'll cremate you." Starfire vowed. Her eyes flashed a dangerous cyan.

Snow's chest rose and crashed repeatedly. His eyes darted between Wingmen. Each time he stopped, he stared down the barrel of a gun. He did the impossible and tensed further.

His ochre wings folded around him. His flesh squelched as silver blades slithered out of his wings. An orange flicker teased his hazel eyes.

"Stand down!" Ordered Hawkman. He slammed down on the court floor. Gasped collected in the skies. Sheyara landed beside him.

"Respectfully, Katar, you have no say. The Ruling Council has ordered Kivo Mori to be detained." Said the commander.

"Rayn Kral," Began Sheyara as she stepped up to the Wingman. "Your mother and I grew up together. I was there the day your father gifted her jewels. The day you came about. I know your parents raised you to not only know what's right, but to do what's right." She said. Her evergreen eyes bore into his soul. "Stand down." She urged.

Rayn Kral gulped. He inhaled sharply and looked into the sky. "I'm sorry. I-We have our orders. This does not have to turn violent. It is you all who should stand down."

"What more do you need to see?" Starfire's voice boomed throughout the golden palace. She took to the people instead of the soldiers. A fiery aura surrounded her as she lifted into the air.

Katar and Sheyara stood in her place.

"You've watched a child stolen from Thanagar—starved, beaten, and subjected to more atrocities than we'll ever know—beat every odd. Snow overcame every obstacle, and stands before you all not a monster, but a hero. Kivo Mori was forced to destabilize worlds—mind controlled by the very monster that ravaged our worlds. He had no say."

She paused. Her eyes surveyed the endless sea of faces for even a hint of sway.

"Snow, the very hope that lives within all of us: a child. Not just any child, but one who survived the unimaginable—and saved the world. I've watched it with my own eyes. So did the Great One."

The crowd was enraptured by the flamebird without wings. Spellbound by her words. Her truth so easily melted theirs away. She slowly turned away from them, releasing the millions from her bewitching.

"The Council has had a month to decide. Make your deliberation now. Has he not earned as much?" She questioned. Her query ignited the crowd. They called for Justice to be served. 

Thal Provis, the burned-face leader of the Ruling Council, raised his hand. The crowd silenced by the millions. His cold eyes glared at Starfire, channeling the mutual disdain of the his constituents, he spoke: "We, The Ruling Council, agree that we have not watched the chronicle of a hero, more so that of a weapon of mass destruction."

Starfire squared her jaw. She didn't dare let them see her falter. Her eyes remained aflame. No matter the decry, she would do right by Snow.

"Snow is not a weapon." She said.