XXIII

Demi's POV

"What's wrong?" Alexa asked me once I sat back down.

"What do you mean?" I asked while faking a smile.

"Your face is red."

"It is?" I put both my hands on my cheeks.

"Who called?"

"It was just one of the administrators from the foster care system." I was trying so hard to stay calm.

"Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, everything's fine." She stared at me with an unconvinced expression. "I mean, it's going to be fine."

"What's wrong, Momma?" Alexa asked in a worried tone. She came over to me and I sat her in my lap.

"Well, your father wants to see you again."

"My father?" She asked surprised. "Like, my dad?"

"Yeah. He wants you to live with him again?"

"But- but I thought he was dead."

"What? Who told you that?"

"Ms. Christy, the care home owner. She said he killed himself."

I pulled her into a hug. "No, baby, he's alive. Do you remember him at all?" She shook her head as a no.

"Momma, I don't want to leave."

"You're not going to, honey."

"But you said I'm going to live with him."

"No, he wants you to live with him, but I'm not going to let that happen. You're my baby, and no one is going to take you away from me." Alexa just nodded. "We'll be okay," I said as I pushed a strand of her hair behind her ear.

"When do they decide?"

"Next week. We have to talk to a judge about it."

"Will he be there?"

"Yes."

"I don't want to see him." Alexa said coldly.

"Lexi, he's probably a really nice guy. Now that doesn't give him the right to take you back, but I think it would be good for you to meet him. Maybe you'll remember him when you see him."

"I don't want to remember him. He left me. He made me live with those mean people. I don't want to see him." I pulled her close to me again. "Don't let him take me away from you." She had tears in her eyes now.

"Shh, no one is going to take you away from me. You're my baby girl. You're not going anywhere without me, and I'm not going anywhere without you." I wanted to cry, too, but I didn't allow myself to. Alexa needed someone to cry on, not with. I don't want her to think that I'm actually worried. I have to show her that I have no fear in going into this. In actuality, I'm terrified. I can't think of any reason why her father should take her back, but there is always a chance that the judge will find a reason.

I just keep telling myself that we aren't being separated. That no one is going to take my little girl away from me.