XIX

Demi's POV

I heard coughing coming from Alexa's room. It went on for a while, and wouldn't stop, so I decided to check on her. "Lexi?" I asked as I opened her door. Her face was flushed when she looked up at me, and it seemed like she was having a lot of trouble inhaling. Every time she took a small breath, she coughed.

"Momma, help," she said with difficulty.

She was really scaring me. I rushed to her side. "Okay, calm down. Try to breath slowly," I encouraged. She struggled for a little. I could tell she was really trying. She just shook her head, letting me know she couldn't take a breath. "Okay, I'll be right back," I said before rushing back to the living room to get my phone. I dialed 911 before running back to Alexa. I told the speaker all of my information, then gave my full attention to Alexa. "Lexi, it's going to be okay. Try to calm down. I know it's hard, but try for me." I was terrified, but I needed to remain calm for Alexa's sake.

Soon, an ambulance showed up at my house. I followed the people taking Alexa out of my house. They let me ride in the back of the ambulance with her. I watched as they started hooking things up to her.

"Her oxygen is low, 85%" one of the medics said.

"Momma, I can't," Alexa said as she patted her chest.

"I know, baby, they're going to take care of you," I said, trying to convince both her and myself. One of the medics hooked Alexa up to an oxygen machine that could be transported when we arrive at the hospital. Almost instantly, Alexa's breathing became a little better. She was still struggling a little, though.

Alexa's struggle for breathing turned into constant coughing. Now that she had breath, she could inhale enough to cough. Once we got into the hospital, Alexa was taken back to get her lungs x-ray-ed while I had to fill out paperwork. 

It seemed like forever before they called me to see her. She was in a normal hospital room with an IV in her hand and some other wires connected in her arm. I saw that she was asleep.

"She's okay," I confirmed. It wasn't a question, but more like a statement. I looked at the doctor for approval.

"Yes, she's going to be okay. She will just need to stay here for a few nights," he informed me.

"What did you find?" I asked impatiently.

"She has pneumonia. It's in both of her lungs, but mostly her left lung. Her right isn't so bad. She doesn't have oxygen hooked up to her right now, but she will at night." I nodded my head. "She'll be fine. We'll just have to watch her progress for a few days before letting her go back home." I nodded again.

"Can I see her?" I asked. The doctor motioned towards the door, giving me permission to enter. I quietly entered her room and sat in a chair next to her hospital bed. I noticed that her IV was being kept in place with pink tape with smiley faces on it. She looked so peaceful, totally opposite from the panic she was in before.

Then it hit me. I realized it. I didn't notice, I was too busy trying to calm both of us down. She did! She said it twice! She called me Momma!