XXIV

Alexa's POV

"Ready?" Momma asked as she parked the car. I just nodded. "Don't worry," she said as she tucked a strand of loose hair behind my ear. "It'll be okay." I just nodded again and got out of the car. We were at the court to see my dad. I really don't want to meet him. I mean, when I was at the foster care, I would wish for him to come back, but now that I have Momma, I realized that I really don't need him. When I was told we were going to see him, I realized that I never wanted to meet him. He left me, that's his fault. I don't want to live with someone who gave me away before. I want to live with Momma.

As we were escorted into the courtroom, I felt my stomach start to knot up. I didn't want to be here. There weren't very many people at first, but the room soon started to fill with men and women in nice clothes, nicer than what Momma and I were wearing. Then, sitting across the room from us, was another man, but he wasn't sitting with everyone else. I didn't recognize him. I had no idea if he was my father because I couldn't even remember what he looked like when I did live with him. This man's eyes were blue, just like mine. His hair was thick and brown, way different from my blonde hair. He kept looking at me, and I tried to ignore him, but he wouldn't move his glance away from me. As I got nervous, I pushed my body against Momma's.

"It's okay," she whispered to me.

"Is that him?" I whispered back.

"Yes," she said as she glanced towards the man.

Soon, the judge came in and took a seat at the front. I spaced out as he talked. I was too busy thinking about what would happen if I had to leave Momma.

"Mr. Turner, why do you feel like you have the right to gain back custody over Alexa?" I heard the judge asked.

"She is my daughter, and I am her father," my dad responded.

"But you gave that up when you signed her over to the foster care system."

"It was a bad time in my life, and Alexa was safer and better off without me. I've recovered now, and I realize how much I miss my daughter. It would mean the world to me if she would be my little girl again."

"Ms. Lovato, do you have any comments?" The judge asked.

"Yes, sir, I do," Momma replied. "A lot of people make mistakes in their life. Sometimes, those mistakes are costly. They have consequences. Now, me adopting Alexa was no mistake. I signed the papers, and I am now her legal guardian, and I can legally call her my daughter. No heart-felt words are going to change that. Should a little girl know her father? Absolutely. But because of your choice, you lost fatherhood over this one. Nothing you do should be able to give that back to you."

"Mr. Turner?" the judge said, turning to my father.

"I signed over Alexa to foster care, not for adoption. There's a difference."

"This is true," the judge said. By the look on Momma's face, I could tell this wasn't good. "Unless Mr. Turner put Alexa up for adoption, or Alexa was removed from his care for legal purposes, he is still capable of earning custody over her again. I'm sorry Ms. Lovato, but Mr. Turner has met the standards of being a legal guardian again, and we have to give him back his child."

So so sorry for a very late update. It's the end of school, and so we have projects and tests and everything. It's been hectic.

What do you think about this chapter?

Love you guys, thanks for reading!