2.

Yuzuru POV

The first place feels good, I love winning. Turning senior now and I can't wait for the Olympics 4 years from now.

I will be staying in Hague until the end of the event because of my female training partners.

Nanami sensei brought me to the girls' practice, they are competing tomorrow. I'm in the stands when she first hits the ice.

I've seen her before in competitions, but I don't usually watch the girls skate.

Her edges are deep, I find myself entranced as she simulates a step sequence with a series of complicated turns, barely using crossovers to get speed.

She's amazing. I thought to myself.

When she propels herself in the air I count 1...2...3...3,5...land. A triple axel? Impressive

She follows the axel with a perfectly centered combo spin and I see her jump again, my eyes can't believe when I count 4 revolutions. In a Lutz? She's crazy!

Nanami sensei must notice how I react, she quickly nudges me.
"The American, she's good huh?"

"Yes, skating skills and jumps, wonder how it will all fit with the music"

"From what I've heard, she's definitely a favorite for the Olympics"

" I believe so"

🪶

The day after, I found myself in the arena again, I wanted to watch her skate.

Somehow currently at the backstage, I don't have the habit of approaching anyone, not only because I'm usually a bit shy, but also because it's very hard to communicate with any non-Japanese. I hate English, the devil language.

But then again, here I am. Something about her practice yesterday seemed off, I thought about it a lot in my hotel room yesterday, it's like she's always on the limit, and I wanted to encourage her.

I finally found her, she had earphones on, Ue's, they looked custom, interesting... I found myself touching her shoulder.

Conversation was obviously limited, but she offered me a nice smile that encouraged me to go on. She had a beautiful gentle aura that drew me to her. If I could, I would've said nice things to her the whole day just so I could see that smile over and over again.

🪶

Her short was magnificent, and her interpretation of the music made everyone interested in every move. Even with a few shaky things, she should have first place assured by a nice margin.

When the scores came up I was shocked, and started doing all the math in my head, they scored her terribly. That's awful, she is not going to be happy, that would've been a world record.

Her face said it all, she knew.

Truthfully, probably everyone did, it's wasn't hard to notice when they did it as obviously as now.

🪶

The free program was definitely a bit shaky, I noticed her wincing sometimes, is she in pain? Injured?

When the last note struck and she started crying with her knees on the ice all I wanted was to hug her and give comfort. Wake up Yuzu, she's not even a friend.

I congratulated her and didn't know what else to say. She looked tired so I dropped the conversation. But it would be okay, The gala was just a day away and I would have all the time in the world to catch up with the fascinating girl that had captured my attention. Now she could definitely use the rest. 

🪶

At the gala rehearsals, I found myself disappointed, she didn't show up. Is everything alright? Her coach wasn't here either and no one from Team Japan seemed to know anything.

Did she go home early? She promised I would see her here.

All the excitement for the gala performance soon vanished when I realized that she wouldn't be there. Maybe she really is injured. Wish I could talk to her.

🪶

Heading to dinner later that day I saw Maya and Alex, I had spoken to them before, and they seemed nice.

"Hey, sowy, Joan... You know where is she?"

"Joan? Our Joan?" Asked Maya

"Hai"

"She's probably gone now, I'm surprised she managed to compete at all, the last GP final she was in so much pain"

"Yeah, in a way I'm glad it's over for her, it was getting unbearable" Alex completed.

"Over?"

"Yes, haven't you heard? She retired."

"Nani? But she young"

"She's sick Yuzuru, sometimes you have to make choices for your health and well-being"

"Yeah" I said looking at the ground. Seeing someone that good retire before turning senior was very sad.

I ended up losing all my appetite...Sick?... Pain? She looked a bit down, but never would I thought it was that bad.
Why didn't she say she wasn't coming to the gala?

Sadness hits me. Why would she mention the gala if she had no intentions of ever going? Why hadn't she told him a thing?

Truthfully, I eventually realized that she wasn't close to me. I don't have any right or entitlement to know anything about her life. We weren't that close.

It didn't matter how much I wanted to know her better, this had probably been the last time I saw her and it was hard to avoid all the sadness that consumed my body.

If only I had more time...