8.

The morning after Joan was walking from one corner of her bedroom to the other while wondering what to wear. She was very nervous, was this a date or just a casual meet between friends?

It was both confusing and frustrating. In a way, she knew they treated each other as more than friends, but at the same time, every gesture could be interpreted as a friendly act.

Eventually, she decided on some jeans and a white tee, she figured Yuzuru wouldn't dress up. In fact, judging from the fact they were going after his practice, he would probably just wear a tracksuit.

Joan decided to go a bit earlier and use the opportunity to watch the world's bronze medalist train for a bit.

As she entered the Cricket Club, memories of her old practice sessions filled her brain, the atmosphere, the noises, the people, the chilly air she missed it all.

She found herself standing at the very edge of the rink when a figure in all black stood out to her. He was apparently talking to Brian and Javier, probably about some edge exercise they were doing together.

Yuzuru seemed to have gained more muscle mass during the summer break, his shoulders a bit broader than what she remembered, as if he could possibly be even better looking.

"Someone's a bit lost" Joan heard a very familiar voice say next to her, a voice that guided most of her training sessions ever since she was 5 years old.

"Hello to you too Tracy"

"Hello. How are you, dear? We miss you here"

"I'm okay, you?"

"Great! Brian told me you're still doing ice time, I'm glad you're still skating"

"Yeah, a few times a week at night. Still going strong"

"Still doing everything?"

"For now, yeah. Coaching myself is harder than I expected"

"You're tough on yourself, that's why. Too much of a perfectionist"

"Always have been"

"Yeah, so is he"

"Huh?"

Tracy nodded her head to the boy Joan had been looking at before Tracy made her presence known.

"Yeah. It's one of the things that make him great"

"It is. Why are you here? Is there anything you need? Anything I can help with?

"No Tracy, thanks" She sent a grateful smile to the lady at her side.

"But you must be here at this hour for a reason, I haven't seen you here in 2 whole years"

"Just waiting for Yuzuru"

"Yuzuru? Really? I didn't know you two even knew each other"

"We met at Junior Worlds"

"I see, want me to rush his practice? He just came back from Japan anyways"

"I know and don't worry, I came early to watch. Just let them be"

"If you need anything, I'm in my office okay? I mean it, anything." Joan turned to Tracy and gave her a small hug.

"Thanks, Trace, you're truly my Canadian mother"

"More of a reason for you to not disappear on me. Show up in the daylight once or twice, huh?"

"I'll try"

Joan enjoyed the peace of no one else noticing her while watching the Japanese do all sorts of edge exercises. Brian called the skaters again and they started doing jumps. Javier did a beautiful quad Salchow, a jump Yuzuru wants to add to his programs. Javi was a great jumper but often lacked in transitions, making his fluidity on ice a bit slower, and not so smooth.

Yuzuru jumped in the air and replicated the jump he had just seen his training partner do. He managed to land a jump everyone would deem lost with a very deep knee bend. Joan smiled widely at the joy of the boy when he saved the jump.

"I did it" she heard him say to Brian

"Yes you did, you're very close Yuzuru"

Joan started feeling a few chills, she forgot how cold the ice rinks can be when you're not skating. Should have brought a jacket.

Suddenly she could feel his eyes on her, she always felt them before even looking at him. Joan gave Yuzu a wide smile and waved her hand in hello.

He returned her smile and waved too, making everyone's eyes turn to her.

"Well look who's here" the heavily accented Spanish voice said. "Haven't seen that face in a while"

"Hello, Javier... Brian" she nodded at the coach "Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt your session"

"No problem at all, do you want to skate?"

"No no, if you don't mind, I'll just watch. Only if it's okay with you"

"Of course, as long as the boys don't get too distracted" he said with a stern look at Javi.

"Can I take a 5-minute brake? I'll focus after, promise" Yuzuru asked a very confused Brian.

"5 minutes, not even a second more. Got it?"

"Yes yes" he answered beaming with a big smile.

Yuzuru headed directly to Joan after getting his skate guards. He didn't even think when he took her in his arms for a hug. He immediately felt how cold her skin was.

"Jesus, you're freezing. Why didn't you bring a jacket?"

He went to his bag and grabbed his Team Japan jacket and carefully put it on her.

"Yuzu, it's okay"

"Shh, just take it. I'm not using it anyways." He told her with a smile "Let's not waste time with that discussion. You slept okay?"

"Yeah, you? Enough rest to be 100% today?"

"Not even close to 100%, but enough to have a decent session"

"Then finish the session before I get hungry"

Yuzuru laughed at the girl.

"Just another hour or so. Is that okay?"

"Take all the time you need, I will be here watching and waiting"

"I better skate to impress then"