12.

It was an offer she couldn't refuse. Not only did it provide the opportunity of a lifetime for real-life trauma surgery experience, but it was also one that wasn't just given away to just anyone.

After an hour-long interview, Joan made the decision that was both exciting and heartbreaking.

One year prior, on a whim and influenced by her father's Army career, she had sent her CV with an application to a Trauma Medical program in the Army. If you had told the 14-year-old Joan that she would be enlisting in the army 4 years later, she would've called you crazy.

But here she was, packing everything she would need for a long stay on the very same day she got the deciding phone call.

The one thing she didn't expect one year ago was to have something, or better someone, holding her in Toronto. And the thought of having to break his heart and tell him she was leaving was breaking her own.

One thing Joan knew for sure was that she wouldn't have the heart to tell him in the face. If she did, there was a big possibility of those puppy eyes convincing her to stay.

So she did the only logical thing in her altered mind. Joan was boarding the plane when she texted the Japanese boy the words that brought tears to her face. There are a lot of ways I could do this, but this is the only one I have enough strength to do. I hope someday you will forgive me for texting instead of saying it to your face. I'm going to the States today, got an offer I couldn't refuse for my career. Long story short, I enlisted in the Army. I'm sorry for everything. Shine bright and fly high! I will be watching you and all your achievements. I know you will be able to achieve everything you dream of. I hope someday we meet again. Ai shiteru, Zuzu.*

🪶

Meanwhile, at the TCC, Yuzuru was halfway through his practice session when his phone buzzed in his bag. Barely did the skater know that the content of the message he just received would break his heart.
Only 5 hours later, after stretching and showering did he reach for his phone, noticing a text by Joan.

Reading the small yet strong message brought tears to his eyes. Too many thoughts crossed his mind. Had she left because of him? Why would she go to the army? Wasn't Toronto University better? Didn't she want to become a doctor?

He needed answers so he tried calling her. Yuzuru tried multiple times but always faced a turned-off phone at the other end of the line.

He didn't sleep that night, wondering if he would ever know what he did wrong and if she would ever come back.

🪶

Sochi 2014

He had made it.

Olympic champion.

The short program was incredible and even after the threats, he was able to overcome and deliver a decent free, earning him the top prize.

Yuzuru stood on the podium of the Olympic Games with gold around his neck.

He should be happy, this was an achievement not many people could dream of getting, but standing on the podium with this medal only reminded him of her, and the promise they had made 2 years prior:

"how about a deal, if I get a medal in Sochi, you do a program for me"

"What do I get out of this deal? Seems like the benefit is all yours"

"The honor of telling everyone you did a program for an Olympic medalist?" He said with a shrug. "It's just for fun really"

"It's a deal if we raise to a Gold medal... And you buy me dinner too"

"Gold? It's my first Olympics"

"Work hard then..."

She believed he could do it, even then. And now here he is. No word of her for two years, every call never reached, every message never replied.

He had gathered a decent following, a lot of people coming from Japan just to watch him. It made him proud.

The last two years were tough. The federation didn't seem to enjoy Yuzuru beating some of his Japanese teammates, and neither did some of the fans of other skaters.

If only he could tell her that he won...

🪶

Interview after interview, Yuzuru went through the torture of the media.
When he finally finished he was glad that we would be able to finally get some rest.

Side by side with his mom they went into the hotel. Yumi gave him his key and phone, that she was keeping safe for him.

"Get some rest okay? I'm proud of you"

"Thank you, Mom, I will try"

"And check your phone, I think there's something there you might want to see."

Yuzuru was intrigued, he closed the door of his bedroom and settled on the bed. Opening his messages he saw a few from old friends and close ones from Japan and Toronto.

It was only when he got to his email that one popped out. It was titled "Congrats, Zuzu" and the sender had a very weird email of mixed characters.

Opening it up, he saw that there was only a video attached. Yuzuru clicked on it, turning the sound up, and was immediately faced with Joan's beautiful face. She was dressed in a military uniform and the background looked like a desert of some sort.

"Hey Zuzu, I know I'm probably the last person you want to hear about and I probably have no right to send you this but I still wanted to give you my congratulations" she started, there was a lot of noise around her, but he could understand what she said. If only Joan knew how wrong she was. "It doesn't surprise me one bit that you managed to win, you're destined to be amazing. It looks like I have a promise to keep, watch your email, please." She looked so much mature but was still the same girl he knew before. "I don't have much more time but just know that I think of you often, I miss you so so much and I'm incredibly proud of you Zuzu. Your mother tells me you seem a bit out of it sometimes, please take care of yourself champion. Ai shiteru"