28.

"Is there still a chance for us?"

The question hung in the air, making the whole thing awkward. She knew why he asked, Yuzuru would never risk getting hurt again if there wasn't a chance in the end that things would work out.

"What if it ends like before?" she started "I don't know about you but if I was busy before... Now is even worse. And I am still finishing my specialty studies. I'm good enough to have a bit of power, but I can't always get everything I want"

"Besides the fact that we are both busy... I mean in your heart?? I don't know, emotionally? Is there a chance?"

" If I said no it would be easier, wouldn't it? But the reality is that if that space for you wasn't always there, I wouldn't fly all the way to Canada and endure the damn jetlag to see you live again, would I?"

"You came just for me?"

"That's all you took from that?" She smiled at the now-grown boy on her phone screen.

"I missed that smile"

"You have always been a flirt..."

"Only with you... A lot of people assume I'm gay because I don't really act like this with anyone"

"No Yuzu, people think you're gay because you keep being lifted by pairs skaters"

"What? It's fun!"

"I bet it is"

"So... There is a chance"

"We can't just get back to what it used to be... You can't snap your fingers and everything that happened just disappears after 4 years"

"I know... We take it slow? Friends to start?? You're far away but we can start talking again? I know we are busy but I want to try if you want"

She pondered for a bit, getting close to Yuzu, even if just as friends has been something she thought about regularly the past years.

"I'm willing to try". The smile that graced his face was one of the most beautiful things she had ever seen. " But... We will have to talk about the stuff that went bad because I don't want a repeat. The first time hurt enough."

"I know...I've been thinking of maybe retiring from competitions, so I might have more time soon"

"Yuzu? What?"

"I won everything... I mean, I want the slam, maybe the axel if I manage to get close, but nothing else motivates me anymore. My ankle is bad sometimes, no matter how much I try to improve, my scores are the same or lower, even with hard jumps. I don't know Jo, the JSF has made it clear they don't want me around for much longer"

"What the hell? You're their Double Olympic champion and they want you to retire?"

"Space for younger athletes..."

"You need to be stronger than that, don't retire just because that's what they want. Do it on your own terms, that's what you deserve"

"Thank you... Enough sad talks"

"Yeah... Enough talks probably. I need sleep, and you too, it's probably almost morning there, no?"

"Shit... Mom will kill me"

"You swear now?"

"Shhh, you didn't hear a thing"

"Hahaha okay. Get some rest before the gala okay?"

"We will talk again, right?"

"Of course, if you want, and don't block my number again..." The jab made him look guilty, but she still smiled at Yuzu.

"You will watch it?"

"Maybe not live, but I'll watch later"

"Good, I want you to... You like the program"

"I do? Well, I like all of them. Is it one of mine?"

"No, surprise" he winked at her, a bit of a deja vu filled her thoughts, all the way back to the WTT 2015, their first time together... " What are you thinking? You were smiling so wide..."

"Nothing... I have to cut the call before I fall asleep" she dodged his question.

"Yeah... If we have to"

"Bye Zuzu"

"Bye Hime" the old nickname brought butterflies to her stomach again.

They disconnected the call with smiles on their faces. Could it be this easy?

🪶

Joan was back to work, usually, she liked nightshifts, especially when she was working in Trauma, but today she was very cranky. Working tonight made her miss the SCan gala, and Yuzuru's "surprise" performance.

She kept checking her phone, Yuzu was one of the last skaters and she hoped things would be calm by the time he went on the ice so she could sneak a glance at his skate.

Once Twitter said he was next she took the opportunity of a decently calm E.R. to have a coffee break with her phone and earphones.

She opened the livestream right when he started, she couldn't believe he was doing Parisienne walkways again after so many years, it was a crazy coincidence that this was the program he chose. And god, was it dangerous... 19-year-old Yuzu made this program interesting and captivating. At the WTT you could see he had matured a bit, but after 4 years? It was straight-up dangerous. His confidence didn't look arrogant, it looked sexy, and the things she felt after watching it made the previous conversation they had about trying to be friends first almost hilarious.

Joan had to get back to work after this, but not before texting the menace of a man that she couldn't take her head off.

'Might have taken a bit of time to watch your gala. I can confirm that the program ages on you like fine wine ;).'

Phone in her white coat pocket, it was time to get back to work. She felt it vibrating soon after and checked what it was.

'who's flirting now?'