Chapter 21

Zoey's Town House, Bucktown Chicago

Zoey spent most of the day laying around Kelly's place before working up the nerve to head back to her own house. The blonde walked around the space but everywhere she looked she saw bad memories. The stairs reminded her of the time Jack shoved her from behind sending her tumbling to the floor where he almost choke her unconscious. 

She let out a shaky breath walking down the hall into the living room and kitchen area and the image of the first time Jack beat her unconscious played in her mind causing tears to fall down her face. The blonde sat down on the floor after a moment trying to calm down but couldn't as her breath began to quicken. 

Zoey pulled her phone out dialling the one person she could think of who might help. The blonde took shallow shaky breaths as the phone rang a couple of times before it was answered. "Aww miss me already?" Jay asked through the phone which would normally make her laugh but she could barely breathe she was crying so hard. "c-can you come over?" Zoey's voice was soft and shaky as she sniffled trying not to sob. "Yea, you okay?" he asked going from messing around to serious in seconds. "no" Zoey said so softly he bearly heard her as she continued to cry and take a deep breath as her throat felt tight. "Send me the address, I'm on my way now, just hang on," Jay said as the line disconnected and Zoey sent her address to him. 

The blonde sat on the floor hugging her knees and sobbing when she heard the front door open within 5 minutes."ZOEY?"Jay called from the front door. "in here" she said softly through tears. Jay ran in the room worried about what he was walking into but his expression softened when he saw Zoey on the floor in a ball having a panic attack. 

The detective instantly knelt down next to her pulling her into a hug as she clung to him, "Deep breathes Zo," Jay said in a soothing tone as he ran his fingers through her blonde hair after a few minutes her sobs stopped, along with her shallow breathing. The two just sat there until Zoey let out a deep breath looking up at him. "I'm sorry, about this." she said, "You don't have to apologize, you've been through a lot of crazy shit lately," Jay said looking at her and sending her a smile. The blonde nods as he helps her up looking around, "So this is your place?" Jay asked her as Zoey nodded. "Not a lot of art or photos," he said before looking at Zoey who was staring at the floor in the kitchen she was sitting in when he arrived. 

"Jack didn't like them," she said in a monotone voice with a blank stare not taking her gaze off the floor. "You wanna get outta here?" Jay asked her as she continued to stare off lost in thought as the memories of that night went through her head. "Zoey?" Jay asked lightly touching her shoulder causing her to jump looking at him in almost fear. "Why don't we get out of here, okay," Jay said as she just nodded silently looking at the floor until Jay walked her out of the house and helped her into his truck. 

Jay's Apartment, Chicago 

The drive to Jay's apartment was quiet as they climbed out of the truck and walked into the building heading towards his apartment. Zoey sat on his couch her mind racing not just from going home or the nightmares but because she was letting Jay get too close. She didn't want a relationship so soon yet he was everything she wanted in a guy. Funny, Sarcastic, Hot, Someone she could talk to about the hardest parts of her job. She was falling for Jay and it absolutely terrified her. "If you wanna talk, I'll listen," was all the detective said as he handed her a mug. "Hot Chocolate?" Zoey asked kinda confused, "I figured it might cheer you up," he replied sitting next to her taking a sip out of his own mug. 

After a while of silence, Zoey sighed setting her mug down, "I should probably get going," she said standing up knowing if she stayed longer she'd end up back in the hot detective's bed. "I mean you don't have to leave, you can stay the night," Jay said with his smirk that made her heart skip a beat. The blonde chewed her cheek as the dark-haired detective leaned in closing the space between them as he pressed his lips onto hers. 

Zoey's eyes closed and the same feeling surged through her body like it had the first time they kissed. The blonde climbs onto the detective's lap straddling him and breaking the kiss only to pull her shirt off tossing it on the floor next to the couch. Jay smiled as her lips reconnected together. In a swift motion, the detective flipped them so he was now hovering over Zoey as she pulled his shirt off and she unbuckled his belt from where she was lying. 

The two lay on the couch naked as Jay just held Zoey in his arms, "You make it so difficult to swear off dating men for a while you know?" Zoey finally said. "What?" Jay asked looking at her with a confused smile not sure if he'd heard her right. "After Jack, I wanted a break from dating. then you walk in and well here I am in your apartment after we fucked. Catching feeling like an idiot," Zoey said with a sigh not looking at Jay. "Your not an idiot Zo, and I'm really into you too. Look if you wanna just keep hooking up with no meaning we can do that or if want this to be more we can do that too. But you gotta let me know" Jay said. 

Should I go for it he's amazing and she's probably never gonna find another man like Jay not to mention if she waits too long a guy like him would either move on or someone else would realize what a catch she really was. "I wanna see if this could be more, but can we take this slow?" she asked looking up at his blue eyes as he closed the space again pressing his lips to hers, "We can go at whatever pace you want, gorgeous" Jay says softly kissing her again causing a smile to form on her face.