Chapter 7: Unexpected Confession

"Hey, Hiroto..."

"What?"

Hiroto asked as he and Nia were watching Takamiya refine the remaining Qlipha Crystals in her possession. Making him glance at Nia who was watching the scene with a box of popcorn in her hand. Treating this as a kind of show before she raised her finger and pointed it in Takamiya's direction.

"Are you alright with watching her sacrifice so many people just to purify the Qlipha Crystals?"

She asked in confusion since Hiroto always strikes her as a kind of a guy who wouldn't do something like sacrifice innocent lives to achieve his goals. Making Hiroto remain silent in response. Unable to answer her as he was afraid that he would scare her away if she found that he held no sympathy or regret for those who were sacrificed by Takamiya in her actions of purifying the crystals to make them more compatible with humans. 

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing"

He said before he noticed Takamiya moving to another location. Making Hiroto stand up in response as Nia followed him from behind. Hugging his back in a piggyback ride before Hiroto jumped from building to building using his incredible strength. Leaving not a single crater behind them as he was able to decelerate their fall by spreading his wings so that his body will get pulled back by the wind. Making Nia hold onto him tightly with a smile on her face.

"If you want to know if I hold any kind of sympathy for them... I think you should use your angel to find out about it"

"You do remember that I can't read people's hearts, right? You're just going to answer either yes or no so why are you so hesitant to answer it?"

She asked as she and Hiroto landed on top of a tall building. Making him put Nia down on the ground as the gust of wind brushed against their clothes. Blowing the vale on Nia's head before a relaxed expression formed on her face.

"If I have to be honest then... no..."

"Is it because we're all just fictional characters in your dimension, Hiroto?"

She asked with a serious expression on her face. causing Hiroto to shake his head to the side in response to tell her that she was wrong. Making Nia silently stare at him in response. Waiting for him to explain himself.

"I don't treat you all as some kind of fictional character since you are standing in front of me. Conversing with me and sharing your ideas and opinions like a normal human... I can't look at you all anymore as mere 2-dimensional characters that don't exist in real life... but... unlike all of you. I can't afford to fail or else everyone else will die. You all will just get your memories erased and your bodies returned to their original once I die, but I have no second chances like all of you. If I die, I die permanently no matter what... That's why I have to choose, it's either me... or them"

He continued before he sat down on the ledge of the building. Making Nia nod her head in understanding since unlike those she saw in the manga and anime she has read and seen. Hiroto never really recognized himself or acted like those naïve protagonists that would be the hero and save everyone from harm. An act to garner fame and support from the people. 

Hiroto acted more like a realistic person that does what needs to be done while also considering the consequences of those actions. He is like a guy who is struggling so much to live and carry the burden of giving his people and loved ones a safe and comfortable place. A guy who experienced many losses in his entire life, but decided to continue forward since there are still people relying on him.

"Are you still angry at me, Nia?"

"I'm just a freeloader so... I really can't stay that angry at you"